Obsidian

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I'd show you guys back east some Obsidian, but I'd misplaced my pictures. Actually they were filed in a folder that I wasn't looking into. I'd seen them, knew I had them but couldn't find them, and it was driving me nuts. They are found and now I'll share.
Glass Butte.jpg This picture shows Glass Butte, midway between Bend and Burns on Hiway 27. It's not as far out in the pucker brush as some areas, but it's a long drive from anywhere. Every year during college spring break, a large group of knappers gather here and camp, knap bifaces, and mine obsidian. The next area shows obsidian on the surface. What you are looking at is all obsidian, there are different colors, red, black and silver sheen, but it's mostly black. The first photo gives you an idea of the scope of this flow, while the second shows a closeup. Glass Butte obsidian.jpg Glass Butte obsidian1.jpg The entire mountain isn't like this, this is just one area, there is much more lava rock than there is obsidian, but there is lots of obsidian. The next photo shows a large vein of black. There is also a vein just like this that is red, that is located up near the top of the mountain, and if you don't mind your rig taking a beating and have four wheel drive, you can drive to it, I've been there but didn't get pictures. Glass Butte obsidian2.jpg sign1.jpg The next scenes are going to show Wagontire Mountain, and it's relationship with Glass Butte. wagon tire mountain.jpg lost creek.jpg The first picture is Wagontire Mountain looking north, the second was taken on the west end of the mountain, at the head of Lost Creek, looking toward Glass Butte in the distance. Way out on the flat between Glass Butte and the location of this picture, is where Meek got lost with the wagon train he was guiding, and they were going to hang him, but he got away, hence the name of the creek. elkhuntroad.jpg That last picture will give you an idea of the quality of roads in the area, and the next will show a close up showing the large obsidian rocks in among the lava flows. I think these obsidian rocks were blown here by Glass Butte, because there are no real obsidian flows on Wagontire. obsidian.jpg This obsidian isn't the quality you find over at Glass Butte, it's all very dark black, and seems to me to be more dense, and in fact I've mistaken some basalt artifact finds, thinking they were of this type of obsidian. But this stuff is real obsidian, all you got to do is bust it, which is how we found out it was glass. INDIANS 005.jpg This is not lost creek, it's flowing off the mountain to the south, and then turns east, while Lost Creek flows west. This is the area we camped, and the photo is taken where the creek crosses the road. INDIANS 006.jpg And this closeup shows the creek. The black rocks are obsidian, the rest lava rock. The next picture is the point I picked up on the top of the ground, right off the road berm, INDIANS 008.jpg right there by the creek.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
have heard of this place. always wanted to go. thanks for sharing your pics. It's quite beautiful.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
If I didn't live so far away, Michigan!!! Burns has a desirable obsidian referred to as Burns Green and obviously only found near Burns, Oregon. Been trying to get some of that for a long time without paying an arm and a leg for it.

That arrowhead/knife blade you found or made looks like it made out of snowflake obsidian??? Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If I didn't live so far away, Michigan!!! Burns has a desirable obsidian referred to as Burns Green and obviously only found near Burns, Oregon. Been trying to get some of that for a long time without paying an arm and a leg for it.

That arrowhead/knife blade you found or made looks like it made out of snowflake obsidian??? Thanks for posting.

The point I found is the same stuff that's in the creek and around there locally. As far as I know the artifact is authentic, it was found a long way from where those guys gather and knap, and they are usually pretty careful about getting counterfeits mixed in where they will be found as artifacts, but i guess there's always a possibility that will happen. Good luck on finding the Burns green. The guys I know that know where it's located won't tell where it is. They bring big chunks to the knapin, and sell it. My impression is it's not far from Glass Butte, they'll leave and be back in a couple of hours. It's about 100 miles from Glass Butte to Burns, which out there is local. I've actually seen people drive that far to town to get a 6 pack of beer. Back in the 60's the kids of a friend of ours had to drive 75 miles to the bus stop, then they had to ride another 100 miles on the bus to school.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent many many hours in that country.I heard most of the major flow is claimed now?
I have a Nephew that is actually mining obsidian down on Davis Creek

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent many many hours in that country.I heard most of the major flow is claimed now?
I have a Nephew that is actually mining obsidian down on Davis Creek

There are a lot of claims, but I've never heard of anyone getting upset with people picking up surface obsidian. A couple of counties have claims on petrified wood areas, and let the public dig for it, but don't know about obsidian. I don't get out there any more, so haven't kept up on what's going on. The last time I was there nobody was working any claim.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of claims, but I've never heard of anyone getting upset with people picking up surface obsidian. A couple of counties have claims on petrified wood areas, and let the public dig for it, but don't know about obsidian. I don't get out there any more, so haven't kept up on what's going on. The last time I was there nobody was working any claim.
Yea,its been a few years for me too.I know the last time I did go there was a Forest Service imposed limit of no more than 250 lbs allowed to be removed per trip.I also heard it is now illegal to buy sell barter or trade any petrified wood in Nevada?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread