obtaining permission to hunt on private property

boonedel24

Dec 5, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I'm new to the this group and forum. I've been metal detecting for about 5 years now and have had pretty good luck on public land, such as city parks, ballfields, fairgrounds, and other places similar to these. I was just wondering if anyone in this group has a special way of asking permission for private property, i. e., house yards, farm yards, abandoned farm buildings, or any other private land. Is there a special wording you use to ask for such permission? I have read that you just don't come out and say, "Can I hunt on your property for lost coins?" because that usually gets a negative response. I was just wanting to find a much more suttle way to gain permission without making the landowner suspicious about your intentions. I thought I would just ask," May I have your permission to metal detect on your property to see what I can find of historical artifacts?" Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated. I have seen many good possible sites on private property and I just wanted to get a good reputation of being a conscientious metal detectorist. Thank you for any help you may give. --boonedel24

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
First things first...welcome to Treasurenet! This is how I approach asking for permission....

1. Dress nice, well groomed.

2. Introduce myself, first and last name and where I'm from. Drop names of mutual acquaintances if any.

3. Explain that I've researched the property and ask if the land owner would be interested in lost/buried objects.

4. If land owner says yes, I then ask about using a metal detector. I also ask land owner if he/she would like to join in, I always bring an extra detector.

5. If land owner says no, I say thanks, tease them a little about what they might be missing out on. Return in a month or so with objects found at other properties, develop a friendship. I realize that it may takes years before a yes answer is given....never give up.

6. Keeping the permission is actually just as hard as getting it....treat it like it's your best friend...share finds, give back.

7. Some properties just don't have the finds that I expected but I still treat it like a best friend, word of mouth will open up other doors in the future.

8. I always complete the first hunt solo, bringing in an additional hunting buddy complicates things but when I bring someone, I always ask in advance
as if I were asking for permission for the very first time.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This topic has been discussed many times, please enter the word Permissions or obtaining permission in the search area up at the top of the screen. The folks here have answered this topic for years. When I first came to this site, I searched for info that interested me before I posted a question.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
This topic has been discussed many times, please enter the word Permissions or obtaining permission in the search area up at the top of the screen. The folks here have answered this topic for years. When I first came to this site, I searched for info that interested me before I posted a question.

I just searched the words "permission" and "permissions"...dang, it would take hours to find what the OP was really looking for. These words show up over and over, I had no idea.....crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread