What's new

Ocean and Yard

ding dang

Greenie
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi all,
I need a little help on identification of two items. One was found in the ocean , the other was found in my backyard . The copper charm looking item was found in my backyard. It had a single small copper link attached to one corner when I found it. It disintegrated and fell off. There are no markings on it. I cleaned it up but it had a heavy patina when I dug it. I found it at around 8 inches. The block was found in the ocean around 30 yards off shore at low tide. It was encased in a mass of concretion. It has been cleaned. The holes do not seem to be threaded. It is magnetic. The two holes on each end do not seem to go all the way through to connect to the hole in the bottom. One side has two indentations but the other side does not. The top section with the grooves is also slightly concave toward the center. The copper charm was found last fall. The block was found last Friday. Thanks for all your help.
 

Attachments

  • charm.webp
    charm.webp
    147.3 KB · Views: 309
  • charmbk.webp
    charmbk.webp
    175.3 KB · Views: 318
  • block.webp
    block.webp
    78 KB · Views: 310
  • block bottom.webp
    block bottom.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 309
  • blockend.webp
    blockend.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 302
  • blocside.webp
    blocside.webp
    39 KB · Views: 310
Sheldon J said:
How magnetic? I'm thinking very old speaker magnet?
I should have said a magnet sticks to it. The block itself is not magnetic. So I believe it is iron. It looks forged, not cast.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like some kind of holder for a friction brake . In the photo the part looks worn in the middle . And the slots held the pad .
Just a guess as I do not know this as a fact .
 
Upvote 0
Daedalus said:
Looks like some kind of holder for a friction brake . In the photo the part looks worn in the middle . And the slots held the pad .
Just a guess as I do not know this as a fact .
The friction brake theory is something that I had not considered. It is possible. One thing to point out about the area in the middle that looks worn is that it appears to be made that way. The grooves at the middle worn looking section are cut to the same depth as the grooving toward the ends. To me it looks like something slid in the grooves or the block was made to ride along something. Then again why was the middle section made slightly concave? Lubrication?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom