Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to NJ over the holiday. I was really disappointed with the beaches, I barely found anything.

My grandmother told me about a lot where an antique shop had burned to the ground with the last surviving owner inside. When I asked the township about it they said it was just an ownerless vacant lot. Found a lot of current change and some antique furniture fixtures (hinges, wheels, handles, etc) but some guy across the street came over and gave me a hard time about being there, so I just left without my finds. Wasn't anything spectacular anyway. I'm beginning to hate people who think that just because they have prejudices against a hobby that they can dictate them to others. If you don't own the land, leave me alone. (The lot reverted to the township when no living family of the deceased owner was located.) Whatever, I'll stick to my regular spots.... :BangHead:

Upvote 0

Dignitup

Jan 17, 2008
Ackerman,MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People like that really boil my water haha.... Best remedy for it tho if you know your in the right is to turn the volume up on your headphones and keep on swinging. Happy Hunting friend.

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People like that really boil my water haha.... Best remedy for it tho if you know your in the right is to turn the volume up on your headphones and keep on swinging. Happy Hunting friend.

yup but he did the right thing as well just to not cause further confrontation ... just leave and go back to your normal spots no time for twerps like that... HH man and good luck!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I woulda asked "do you own this lot" and when he says no keep on detecting. Done that a few times in my area.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Well I can tell you what you did wrong You came to Jersey for a vacation (Holliday) Gross!!! Any way those beaches get hunted daily by many people. The only time I have seen other people out detecting is when I have done the beaches.. To me beach hunting is hit or miss, mostley miss..

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope noone takes this personal, but i wouldve told the guy where to stick it and kept on detecting lol!!!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completely agree with u Chrystal, I've ignored many pain in the butt nosey people or told them to get a life while I was detecting.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you what you did wrong You came to Jersey for a vacation (Holliday) Gross!!! Any way those beaches get hunted daily by many people. The only time I have seen other people out detecting is when I have done the beaches.. To me beach hunting is hit or miss, mostley miss..

yeah ticm, i was at brigantine beach and of course AC beaches this weekend what a #($)#hole, that town sucks, filthy dirty and over run with ppl who dont give a damn about others, totally disrespectful and trashy. hopefully OCMD next month for me will be much nicer

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope you can find a good place to detect, where you dont have to worry about people whom are ignorant of what we absolutely love to do!!! I wish i wouldve been there with you, i wouldve told them where to stick it lol!!! Not trying to be personal, ok i am but o well!!! People have their own likes and dislikes!!! Id go back if i was you dear!!! :occasion14:

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion we should stick up for this hobby of ours, and not get pushed around by every body who thinks they are cops, even cops don't give us a real hard time. Maybe we should call the police on these people for interfearing with our rights. i'm sorry but i won't let people step on me like that unless they have paper in hand declaring their rights. i know they are pita's and momma said turn the other cheek but it's got to stop. Mrs Cravits won'd ruin my fun, hell i have 2 detectors and maybe they can have some fun also.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record , the neighbor who gave you a hard time had no right to do so but is still suffering from the tragedy of losing a close friend Fred Peech Nov. 2011 than seeing Fred's 50 year old son Henry killed in this fire two months later 1-18 -2012 . Apparently the son was drinking over the loss of his father and another family member .. fire may have started by drinking & careless smoking . That neighborhood always watches out for each other and he is still very upset that he didn't do enough to keep this tragedy from happening .. try to understand :icon_scratch: .. the man is still traumatized and only time will heal his sorrow . There will be a time where he will realize he can't be a watchdog of that property .. you did the right thing & I commend you for just leaving :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
................... I'm beginning to hate people who think that just because they have prejudices against a hobby that they can dictate them to others. If you don't own the land, leave me alone. (The lot reverted to the township when no living family of the deceased owner was located.) Whatever, I'll stick to my regular spots.... :BangHead:

While I don't know jack squat about the probate laws in NJ, I seriously doubt that ownership of the land "reverted" to the township in such a short amount of time. Probate takes time and probate takes an extremely long time when heirs are not available.

If the town has indeed taken ownership and if you had received permission, you should have just kept on keeping on instead of leaving your finds and complaining about it on here.

If my neighbors see a stranger on my property, they will kindly run them off and I do the same for them. If we happen to confront someone who has a legit reason or permission to be there, we apologize and leave them alone.

Looking out for land that belongs to others is simply what good neighbors do for one another.

I doubt "prejudices against a hobby" were involved in any way shape or form. You were either where you did not belong or this guy was just being overprotective of his neighbor's property.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to Pyrate & Diamonddawg for the advice and guidance... That is what someone at the twp told me but in hindsight idk whether they had the authority to give me the permission, so maybe you're both right. I did not know the full details of the tragedy.

Since I'm still very new to this, I don't fully know what my rights as a speculating hobbyist are, or if I even have any. Nor do I know how to deal with aggressively inquisitive people. My "complaints" were borne of frustration from being chased off a spot I thought I had the okay to hunt, and now looking back, I understand the guy's anger at my presence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread