paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a field today and it's definitely different. The field has been producing some nice late colonial relics and this was a perfect 96 signal in all directions. I was hoping it was a silver half, but instead the plug revealed a heavy copper rectangle. It's thick copper, but no sign of hooks or any other fittings so I didn't think it was a belt buckle.

DSC00255.JPG DSC00256.JPG

It wasn't until it started to dry that I spotted the script letters on one side. They're engraved in, but they're backwards:

DSC00258.JPG DSC00261.JPG

I reversed the image and it appears to say "Miss Elizabeth Beach" although I might be wrong on the surname. Being backwards I'm thinking a printing plate, but it's an odd find for the middle of a field and the engraving is quite shallow which makes it seem like it would be ill-suited for printing clearly. It's also strange it isn't pewter like many of the printing plates I see.

Here's the reversed image:

Untitled.jpg

What do you think this was used for?

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting; I did do some searches on the name, but there wasn't much attributed to the local area and it doesn't match up with known owners of the property. If it is a letter-head plate then my instinct would be that it's from someone with some prominence. This can't have been cheap in those days.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research can be fun. that's a cool piece very interesting relic.....

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found something similar and was told it was an embossment plate.

Upvote 0

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before thermographic inks, the only way to get raised printing was with a copper plate like your find. People of means used "Calling Cards" in the 18th & 19th century and some folks will still pay a small fortune for calling/business cards made by this method.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Before thermographic inks, the only way to get raised printing was with a copper plate like your find. People of means used "Calling Cards" in the 18th & 19th century and some folks will still pay a small fortune for calling/business cards made by this method.

This was my first thought when saw your find also... a Victorian Calling Card printing plate. :thumbsup:

Here are some examples of Victorian calling cards I found online.

Dave

Attachments

• calling-card-miss-ellen-stuart-bowen.jpg
    calling-card-miss-ellen-stuart-bowen.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 66
  • calling-card-marion-knighten.jpg
    calling-card-marion-knighten.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 56
  • CLBA6_pg1.jpg
    CLBA6_pg1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find paleomax!

OK I see the concept but how did they ink the letters and not the whole plate? or was it an ink and wipe process. I have seen mourning notes written in white ink on black paper but this is obviously something different.

Upvote 0

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plate was inked then squegeed off only remaining in the incused lettering. Remember the photo has been reversed. The card was then pressed onto the plate under substantial pressure, transferring the now positive ink to the card.
I have to thank "Crafty Stafford", my drunken 8th grade print shop teacher for imparting this almost useless tidbit of ephemera.

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She used that to put her name on her underwear, I always thought it was odd

Upvote 0

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found years ago identical to that but was never able to discern what it said. Same style script and everything. I thought it was unique but it sounds like there are others. Cool!

Upvote 0

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check This One Out

I'm glad you posted your plate here. Because of that, I was able to identify a calling card plate that I believe I found several years back. Here's mine with the name Gerald E. Kelly etched on it in reverse.

22435.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread