What's new

Odd fossil piece

BeachComber7

Sr. Member
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
462
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a few days ago.
It is smooth on both ends, wonder if it is part of a joint, part of a leg bone or even a vertebrae.
I'm assuming turtle, since I find so much of turtle these days but I have also found horse, camel llama and a fragment of a mammoth tooth.
 

Attachments

  • P1010812 - Copy.webp
    P1010812 - Copy.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010814 - Copy.webp
    P1010814 - Copy.webp
    42 KB · Views: 168
  • P1010813 - Copy.webp
    P1010813 - Copy.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 170
I hope you find out because I have one too and don't know. It just seemed like the density was the same as turtle to me.
 
Found this a few days ago.
It is smooth on both ends, wonder if it is part of a joint, part of a leg bone or even a vertebrae.
I'm assuming turtle, since I find so much of turtle these days but I have also found horse, camel llama and a fragment of a mammoth tooth.

It appears to be the centrum of a vertebra. There's not anything diagnostic I can see, other than it's from a large mammal. Horse or camel would be a reasonable guess.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom