✅ SOLVED Odd metal cylinder in my back yard

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
I was testing an old Compass Yukon 77B in my yard and I found this odd metal cylinder a few months ago. It was grey-silvery when I found it and it looked like a piece of round metal stock except it was so lightweight. On my E-Trac it comes in at 16-01 with an iffy signal like a bit of foil so I might not have bothered digging it. It is 5.5" long x 15/16" in diameter and it weighs 4.16 oz (140mm x 24mm x 118 g). It sat in my garden for several months after I dug it. There are no seams or any features but I can see a bit of greenish on one end now that the cylinder has been in the weather for a few months.

Does anyone know what this might be? If this is a solid piece of metal, the density of the metal would be less than aluminum. Maybe it is hollow and sealed with no seams? My yard was a once a farm and it would have had some huge tree stumps when it was cleared. I was wondering if this could be a very large blasting cap or something explosive related? Just wanted to check before looking closer at this item.

Attachments

• Cylinder end 2.jpg
    Cylinder end 2.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Cylinder end.jpg
    Cylinder end.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Cylinder Other end.jpg
    Cylinder Other end.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Cylinder Weight grams.jpg
    Cylinder Weight grams.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 30
  • Cylinder1.jpg
    Cylinder1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
OP
OP
J

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
Thanks! That is probably what it is, maybe from an old radio battery or something. I've seen smaller versions that are about the size of a Sharpie but I haven't seen one this size.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread