✅ SOLVED Odd metal cylinder in my back yard

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
I was testing an old Compass Yukon 77B in my yard and I found this odd metal cylinder a few months ago. It was grey-silvery when I found it and it looked like a piece of round metal stock except it was so lightweight. On my E-Trac it comes in at 16-01 with an iffy signal like a bit of foil so I might not have bothered digging it. It is 5.5" long x 15/16" in diameter and it weighs 4.16 oz (140mm x 24mm x 118 g). It sat in my garden for several months after I dug it. There are no seams or any features but I can see a bit of greenish on one end now that the cylinder has been in the weather for a few months.

Does anyone know what this might be? If this is a solid piece of metal, the density of the metal would be less than aluminum. Maybe it is hollow and sealed with no seams? My yard was a once a farm and it would have had some huge tree stumps when it was cleared. I was wondering if this could be a very large blasting cap or something explosive related? Just wanted to check before looking closer at this item.

Attachments

• Cylinder end 2.jpg
    Cylinder end 2.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Cylinder end.jpg
    Cylinder end.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Cylinder Other end.jpg
    Cylinder Other end.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Cylinder Weight grams.jpg
    Cylinder Weight grams.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 35
  • Cylinder1.jpg
    Cylinder1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Thanks! That is probably what it is, maybe from an old radio battery or something. I've seen smaller versions that are about the size of a Sharpie but I haven't seen one this size.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back