Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Needed to take a day off work (use it or lose it) so I ended up hitting about 10 spots today. I found a spoon that had me perplexed for awhile. It had a federalist union shield, anchor and the profile of a guy on it. It's pretty roached but I took another stab at finding a makers mark last night and discovered that there were words under the profile image that said "Captain..... ee". Then when looking at the bowl I noticed there was an image of a ship on it. I could barely make out USS Maine.... Looks like it's a commemorative spoon from the sinking of the USS Maine. Checking out Ebay, it looks like it was made by Standard (key words Spoon, Sigsbee, Maine). Nothing like a 100yr old souvenir to start your day. Also found the small shoe buckle and the handle to an old razor at the same place.

Most of the other places I hit only produced clad (OK, two wheat pennies and a 1952 nickel that looked like it was in really good shape for being 6 inches in the ground). Ended my day at an old park in town. I don't know what it is about this park in particular, but every time I'm there I find at least one interesting thing. In the past I've pulled an old 1880's ladies hair pin and a turn of the century tool tag. This time it lived up to it's uniqueness again, producing the kids cat ring (spayed out in the picture). It's probably from a gum-ball machine and not that old but interesting. Then I pulled the salt shaker top. It's kind of small , like the kind someone going on a picnic would bring. Finally, I found the lock-back knife. I bet it's blade's over 4 inches long, and I found it open. Sure glad I found it and not a kid.

Disappointed about not finding silver I headed home and cleaned everything up. Turns out the salt shaker top had writing on it. STERLING. What an odd way to break the slump.

CAT.jpg Spoon.jpg Knife (2).jpg Knife (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Collection of things. Congrats on an extra day to hunt and breaking a slump.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tha is an old Spanish American War United States Navy Battleship souvenir spoon circa 1898

see the pic below

a246ship1x2.jpg

Cool digs

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tha is an old Spanish American War United States Navy Battleship souvenir spoon circa 1898

see the pic below

View attachment 1215237

Cool digs

Ya that's the ticket. It was a real head scratcher until I saw USS Maine. I kept searching for union shield, anchor, commodore (and admiral) but couldn't ID it. Looking atound the net with USS Main and spoon in the search I was amazed at the variety of commemorative spoons that were made. Really gives a person a sense of what a striking event it was at the time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought the face on top looked like Teddy Roosevelt, so I started searching in that direction and then I searched spanish american war spoon, That is a real conversation starter and will display nicely.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG NEEEET RING AND SPOON FIND ......

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That kitty ring looks like its had better days . He looks like he tried to cross the road one to many times

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice save last minute man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread