What's new

Odds of finding Spanish silver in Midwest, US?

I'm located in central Iowa and have thought about that in the past.... I wonder if there are many of them in Iowa...... I did some reading on fur trading in Iowa... it wasn't too popular around here... there were 2 outposts in SE Iowa but that is all I have read about thus far...
 
That gives me enough hope here in Milwaukee!
Awesome!
 
I have a new bucket list item to find. That would be a spanish dollar, or reale. Problem is, I live in Minnesota.

I see that MN became a state nearly the same year that Spanish silver was no longer considered legal tender, and only 150,000 people lived here.

Has anyone ever found Spanish silver in the Midwest, USA? Give me some hope!

Where do u live in MN?
 
Ramsey County.
 
I have seen many Spanish silvers found in exclusively Civil War camps (1861-1865), which leads me to believe that these were still circulating into the 1860s at least, possibly even into the late 1800s. A spanish silver was worth a lot of money back then so it's probable that people didn't want to just melt down their money and would keep it circulating until an official found out. In fact, I think a lot of the spanish silver was dropped after the demonitization act. I'd say your chances are decent. It's harder than anywhere on the East Coast, that's for sure, but it's definetely not impossible by any means. Good luck!
 
Found my 27th Geo.III "cartwheel" here in Manitoba this year, among many other early coppers.

No Spanish silver but did get this Mexican 4 real north of Winnipeg.....

P1110003.webp

I would wager that Minnesota has a better chance at early coinage than her neighbour to the north.
Good luck!
 
Finding the old foreign coins in places you wouldn't expect them happens, I found a 1811 5 franc in California. More than likely carried out here in the gold rush..
 

Attachments

  • 20170429_193354.webp
    20170429_193354.webp
    539.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170501_060257.webp
    20170501_060257.webp
    217.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom