Odds of finding Spanish silver in Midwest, US?

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new bucket list item to find. That would be a spanish dollar, or reale. Problem is, I live in Minnesota.

I see that MN became a state nearly the same year that Spanish silver was no longer considered legal tender, and only 150,000 people lived here.

Has anyone ever found Spanish silver in the Midwest, USA? Give me some hope!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do some research on French fur traders in the Midwest. Maybe you can find other (Lewis & Clark) historic adventures that occurred in the Midwest prior to statehood. ╦╦Ç

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug a 1780 Real here in Ohio in an area that was not settled until the 18-teens.
20160604_163257.jpg 20160604_163310.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stuff was carried all over the country as late as the Civil War. Actually, some people carry the old stuff around as jewelry still today. There is a chance, but more chance on the East Coast or right near the fur trading areas of the great lakes, which is closer for you.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only found one in New England. The chances in the mid west will be quite lower than in the east, but still not impossible.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The are hard to get . Over the years I have found them in Maryland, PA, Delaware and New York. Bought a few from shipwrecks too.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Growing up in MN, I always hoped to find some Viking artifacts ( not from the NFL team). You might take a look at the history of what's been found to-date.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a few found here in Illinois that I know of.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think your best bet is to try hunting the oldest farmlands in your region where you can get permission. Happy hunting!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Any thing is possible though. I found a 1656-1658 French Liard in an area not even settled until the 1730's (by the Irish, not the french). Maybe a fur trader or Indian who received it by the French got it? It could have just stayed in circulation until the 1730's, used as a farthing. I also found a 1696 English Halfpenny in another town, settled also in the 1730's, I am sure that coin was dropped by the early settlers of the town in the 1730's or 1740's. With enough searching you can find anything, even stuff that predates your town by decades.

If you were wondering, I live in New Hampshire.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Stuff was carried all over the country as late as the Civil War. Actually, some people carry the old stuff around as jewelry still today. There is a chance, but more chance on the East Coast or right near the fur trading areas of the great lakes, which is closer for you.

Good answer. They circulated all over the USA, I thought, up to the early 1800's. So as long as areas of Minnesota date to the early 1800s or earlier, there ought to be potential for Spanish reales.

I get them here in CA frequently.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in an area settled as early as 1640 and have hunted a bunch of early sites. Not much Spanish for me but all mine are very early. The vast majority of Spanish silver found and posted date from the last quarter of the 18th century and are usually very worn so dropped well into the 1800s but no later than 1857(demonitized). Plenty of settlement in the midwest by then

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything can happen. I'm out West and I once found a very nice Capped Bust dime once after licking a frog and wandering around the woods next to a creek.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything can happen. I'm out West and I once found a very nice Capped Bust dime once after licking a frog and wandering around the woods next to a creek.

With or without a metal detector lol. Certainly a unique way to treasure hunt! :laughing7:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say you have decent chances. Some coins circulated for 60 years or more. The only thing that put a damper on that was the Coinage Act of 1857. Good luck

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a few found here in Illinois that I know of.

I know of two reales dug here in Illinois as well. Certainly has to be more than that. I reckon most are recovered near a larger river where traders would be bringing it with them from other areas.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After Spain took over the west side of the Mississippi 1762-1802. a lot of the trade routes remained so i could see coins finding there way to Canada. I think they have been found in green bay and Prairie du Chien wisconsin. Vincennes Indiana had tie's to the french communities along the Miss. too, so they were everywhere but how many were lost? If the Kelly's bluff treasure in Dubuque Iowa being found is believed, (It was i read the newspaper story, and heard enough to satisfy me ) was said to contain many types of coins including Spanish.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would think any land close to the Mississippi and other joining rivers could be good prospects for just about anything

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the lines draw by the powers in charge were a sieve when it came to trading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread