What's new

Off topic "Kayaker" update.

T Witko

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2010
Messages
432
Reaction score
727
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
About a year ago I posted some photos of a variety prehistoric skulls, including a Bison latifrons, that Kayaker found while searching nearby river banks. A couple of days ago he came back with another latifrons, plus a Bison anitquus and another very old "What is it?".

I know this is off topic but I thought some may like to see some of this stuff also. None of these pieces had been cleaned when I took the photos. The horn core spread on the latifrons is about 39" and on the antiquus about 27".

I have no idea how to get the photos in the same order I uploaded them in, but you should be able to match the different views.
 

Attachments

  • 060512 Anci39.webp
    060512 Anci39.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 060512 l1a 27.webp
    060512 l1a 27.webp
    75.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 060512 l1b.webp
    060512 l1b.webp
    90.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 060512 w1 Top.webp
    060512 w1 Top.webp
    75.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 060512 w1side.webp
    060512 w1side.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 060512 wbottom.webp
    060512 wbottom.webp
    96.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those are awesome finds. Photo #1, #4, and #5, what did you say they were? They don't look like buffalo, are they camel or elk? The skull looks weird, with the enlongated nose and dip in the frontal brow area. has some similarity to dire wolf (no canine teeth)?
 
Last edited:
I have always wanted to find a Bison Antiquitus skull. And still looking.
 
old digger said:
Those are awesome finds. Photo #1, #4, and #5, what did you say they were? They don't look like buffalo, are they camel or elk? The skull looks weird, with the enlongated nose and dip in the frontal brow area. has some similarity to dire wolf (no canine teeth)?

Thanks, Kayaker really has a good eye for spotting this kind of stuff.

We don't know what it is. It looks like it would have had canines. There are holes in the jaw line where they would been. We thought maybe dire wolf also, but the examples of dire wolf skulls we've seen are different. I'm pretty sure it isn't elk and I don't think camel had canines.
 
Thanks, Kayaker really has a good eye for spotting this kind of stuff.

We don't know what it is. It looks like it would have had canines. There are holes in the jaw line where they would been. We thought maybe dire wolf also, but the examples of dire wolf skulls we've seen are different. I'm pretty sure it isn't elk and I don't think camel had canines.
Looks like a wild boar or hog skull to me.
 
Looks like a wild boar or hog skull to me.
but I
Thanks, that's kinda what Kayaker's thinking too. We haven't seen any examples, other then the wild boar, that have these characteristics. (This piece is very old, almost petrified).
 
awesome finds.:thumbsup:
 
About a year ago I posted some photos of a variety prehistoric skulls, including a Bison latifrons, that Kayaker found while searching nearby river banks. A couple of days ago he came back with another latifrons, plus a Bison anitquus and another very old "What is it?".

I know this is off topic but I thought some may like to see some of this stuff also. None of these pieces had been cleaned when I took the photos. The horn core spread on the latifrons is about 39" and on the antiquus about 27".

I have no idea how to get the photos in the same order I uploaded them in, but you should be able to match the different views.

Nice finds by Kayaker.

Bison Latifrons had a horn-core spread of 7 to 8 feet. The Kayaker's example is an extinct species but not Latifrons.
I would call the smaller bison skull a very nice Bison Bison, not a Bison Antiquus.

11KBP
 
Very interesting, I have found a few Bison teeth but never a skull, that is great.
 
I'm leaning towards some sort of horse/baby horse??I'm no expert haha just a guess

the_donkey_skull_by_papertiger3-d4g45cw.webp



f11t.webp

Johnathan Griswold
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom