What's new

Oh, by the way......

buffhunter

Sr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
275
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Went into one of my pickup banks this morning, and as i was picking up my boxes of halves, one of the tellers comes over and says "oh, by the way, someone called this morning and asked for rolled halves." She told them that they had a few loose ones She wound up selling them to me, so i wonder if the person made the trip or not. I went over to bank #2, and joked with the girl as i was picking up my halves. i asked if anyone else has called or asked for halves, and she said one of the other girls took a call this morning. Since i had the day off, i decided to bank hop an area that i had not done for several months. Most banks had nothing, or the banks that did have halves only had clad. at one of the last banks I checked, I walk in and ask for halves. the girl replies "what is it with halves today?? You are the third person asking for them today." She goes on to tell me that an 80-ish man is now asking for them regularly, as well as a "younger" guy. Competition is getting tough. It used to be that you could go into a bank every 3 months or so and no one else would be checking between your visits. Now it seems like we are running over each other! Several months back, i was in line at a bank and the guy in front of me asked for halves. We spoke outside and have become good friends (competitors). i spoke with him on the phone an hour ago and he said he is seeing the same thing - an explosion of CRH's. looks like we have become our own enemies by posting our "spectacular" finds.
 
Upvote 0
Yep, 3 banks I stopped at today were all telling me they get halves and they're gone within a couple hours. In fact one of the banks I went to they told me they got cleaned out about a half hour before I got there. Another bank thought a guy bought them all out, and they wound up having like $20 in rolls, and $5 in loose. It's crazy. I started roll hunting about a year and a half ago, never had a problem getting halves. The word has spread, the silver is being pulled by everyone now.
the hunts are getting tougher, I mark all my rolls, and try to buy as many rolls as possible just to try and discourage new hunters. I know it gets old real quick when you keep finding rolls with the same initials. I want people to think they have no chance. That's what we all need to do, hit it hard, keep all the newbies from enjoying the hobby.
 
There have been a number of articles in Magazines about CRH'ing, would say htat has alot more influence than posting on this forum.
 
look back over the past 90 days and see how many "newbees" there are. Google Coin Roll Hunting, and the first thing that comes up is TNET! Magazine articles show positive finds, and inquisitive people google the subject and they see us and read our posts. We tell them all the tricks of the trade, tell them where to go, how much to start with, where to dump, etc. I used to use local TD banks to order coin for me, but they have had such a rush of pickups and dumpers that they have stopped ordering coin for all of us. i spoke with one of the regional managers a while back, and he told me that myself and one other guy was the only one ordering coin from his banks. he shut everyone off when he noticed that his banks had requested 20K in haves in one week. Explosion of CRH's is hurting everyones share!
 
The "new" CRHers will get tired of it after a while. Especially when they
find out that everyday is not a good one. Plus the price of gas will start
putting a halt to some of them
rileyboy
 
Perfect time to seed your banks with dumps. Drop off $50 -100 clad in nice old wrappers in each of your banks and let your competition trip over them selves to pick them up. Its a fun way to keep them on their toes.

Happy Hunting.
 
Silver was also over $18 an ounce last weekend.
Thursday (road trip) I walked into a distant bank for the first time and bought $380 in halves (that was all I had on me). The vault teller said she had $700 more. By the time I got back there today, only $200 was left.
 
Why does everyone think this hobby is such a secret, only to be discovered on Tnet? Anyone with half a brain can figure out that, "hey! banks deal with coin, better yet, banks also deal with rolls and boxes of coin!"
Sheesh, I was only 12 or 13 when I figured that out, and there was no internet for another 30 years or so. I'm betting that more than half the competition out there has never even heard of this forum.
 
buffhunter said:
looks like we have become our own enemies by posting our "spectacular" finds.

It certainly doesn't help.
 
Same thing happened to me. I went to my usual favorite bank (with GREAT Merchant Teller) and asked the usual question. She said she did not have anything because another guy came in and asked for halves. I said OK.

This bank has been great to me. They're always willing to order boxes, but I think it's time to stand down. I will still ask them if they have anything cool in the tray and bring them cookies, but if there are too many (i.e. more than 1!) CRHers operating out of their branch, I do not want to be one of them.

Happy hunting all. I have had my fun (and struck the motherload a few times), so it's someone else's turn.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom