Oh NO! Update--Rev War musketballs

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
(An expert on the area just told me the exact location I was searching was used in the 60s and 70s as a live firing range for re-enactors, so I've been finding their bullets, not those of the original soldiers. Explains why there are no other artifacts. That area was probably picked over years ago. Wish the guy hadn't told me, then I would still think they were real.)

I hit an area adjacent to this site of Washington's troops (link below) and found a large flat area about the size of half a football field in the woods. I started hitting musketballs and they were everywhere in several sizes, from the regular about the size of the end third of a fat thumb and almost perfectly round except very bottom is flat, to smaller ones about the size of a pencil eraser (but almost perfectly round). Also many fired ones (flat or mushroom shaped). Weird thing is I found nothing else at all. Very strange not to find any buttons there or anything else with so many musketballs. I covered only a fraction of the area, but should have found somthing else. There could be hundreds of musketballs there, as I was finding them every few swings of the coil. I have to go count, but I found around 20 or so (corrected: just counted and it's closer to 50). Will be going back to see.
Thanks. Any ID on that more modern looking bullet (1800s?) appreciated. It's hollow in the back and has three grooves around the circumference. Also, given this was Washington's troop site, at least some of the guys who lost these must have known or met Washington.

http://www.revolutionaryday.com/usroute9w/windsor/default.htm

Attachments

• musktballs.JPG
    musktballs.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
These were all very shallow, some on top of the ground. However, I have found genuine ones closer to the surface as well (though those were all much whiter). You never can tell because soil could be washed away and something that was deeper could be shallower over time. However, I think when I took the photos some of these may have been wet and some may have been dry, which could account for the difference. There must be hundreds of these things based on what I found in a small area and how many I was getting every few feet. If there are any real ones mixed in it would be hard to tell.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still cool finds Bergie! I also got excited and faked out of a cool find this summer, a flint and steel inside a small tin box found about 3" down. In the bottom of the tin were two gold earrings hallmarked 14K. Was dropped by a re-enactor in the first white/Indian settlement in Ohio. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread