What's new

Oh the IRONY

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I haven't done much in CRH lately,. Just not great results here in Phoenix. but this 2019 "W" quarter thing is something I am interested in, so I shall get boxes of quarters every two or three weeks over the next year and search for a W.

I just got $1,500 of quarters. Got one box, and the rest $100 at a time at banks to see who was getting what. Didn't find a W, but also only found one bank that even had any of the "Lowell" Quarters (the first 2019). They had a few in the rolls, so I filled my two books up and sent some off to a friend back east who trades me P for D. Nothing for the "American" quarter (the 2nd 2019) in any of the rolls. I don't see current ones often though, so it might be a month more before I see any American 2019 quarters.

I went to my drop off bank. They have a free counter. Dumped $1,492.50. I kept a few Lowell's and a few other ones for whatever reason. Went to the teller to get my cash. They gave me $1,492 in bills then 2 quarters for the $.50. Lo and behold - one of the two quarters was an "American Memorial" 2019. HA.

I went through $1,500 in quarters and didn't find a one, but when I do my DUMP I find one in the two quarters he gives me! WOW. granted, it would have been even better if it were a "W" quarter, but still. To find one in the 2 quarters that I could not find in 6,000 quarters of searching. Irony.

Plus, I always search the magnets in the counter machine. Reach my finger under and feel around (gently. IN case there is a tack there) and came out with a Canadian dime and a 1943 steelie penny. :-) Haven't seen one of those in a few years. so my dump was more productive than my search.

Irony, at its best.

In two weeks on Friday I'll look at another $2,000 of quarters. Should start seeing the Americans soon, and that is when the first W's for Lowell AND American came out.
 
Upvote 0
I've been driving myself nuts trying to find some of the "W" mint marked quarters in the wild. In the process, I could have put together a complete set of "P" and "D" quarters from the states and America the Beautiful series. But I tossed them back. I got two silver quarters in the hunt and today an AU 1964.

So....I now have found about 35 of the Lowell 2019 "W" Quarters. I "cheated" in some regard as I found some rolls on the net for sale, which supposedly had come out of a box the "W"'s had been found in. Well, it was true!

I have gone through $10,000 worth of quarters. I have 35 to show for it, about 6 foreign coins, a screw driver bit and three silver quarters for the effort. I have four that I am in the process of having grading done to them. Two have come back MS-64. Lots of work for sure.
 
"I have gone through $10,000 worth of quarters. I have 35 to show for it, about 6 foreign coins, a screw driver bit and three silver quarters"

That's actually pretty darn good. I'm now up to $2,500 searched, with ZERO W quarters to show from it, and zero silver. I expect I"ll find silver first, but I intend to do a few hundred thousand dollars worth over the next year, and will feel successful if I come up with 2 of the W quarters.

But more fun than golf, and doesn't cost me anything. Gold does. HA
 
That is ironic Ive been buying 2 to 3 rolls from various banks here and there Ive found a few 2019s but no Ws
 
I dont search quarters very often; just a few dollars a week in CWR. Never seen a silver, and certainly no W's. I did end up with three solid rolls of the 2019 Lowell (D mint) quarters in late March, though.

Edit: The W quarters weren't released until the beginning of April, right? My records show I picked up the solid rolls March 4th... so there shouldn't be any in there, right? Tempted to crack them open to make sure.
 
Last edited:
"The W quarters weren't released until the beginning of April, right?"

that is correct. SO no need to crack open those March rolls.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom