Ohhhh boy

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
So I have been doing research for a while now and last year I accidentally found an old brick manufacturing place. Well, I just now remembered about it after walking around the place for an hour or so. Turns out it was used from the mid 1800's to 1970. A downfall? OF COURSE. I also discovered the land is considered as a "superfund" to clean up the contaminated 13 acres, stating the soil, water supply, and any other nearby things could be contaminated from disposing of wastes illegally in 1977. From the brickyard you can see the top of a protected civil war fort....so what should I do?? Put some latex gloves on and go at it or is it just best I leave this one alone?

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
What kind of "wastes"? Half of the stuff they freak out about now days is stuff that most of us played in as kids. I'd do a little more research and if it's not something serious I'd be in there.
This is just my opinion. Don't hold me liable if you grow a third arm. Although a third arm would probably come in handy for detecting. ;D ;D

Helo

Jun 18, 2007
S.La.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Whites M6 ,Whites Eagle II,Fisher 1270, Tesoro Conq. Umax w/manual G/B ,Discovery 3300
Heck , Why not go for it? If its not fenced off to prevent people from entering the site , then it can't be that bad. If you believe everything the enviornmentalists say . you wouldn't be able to check the oil in your car.... I would try to figure out where the parking lot was and start there...Good Luck... 8)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Funny, same deal here in Bryan Texas, I know of some nice old homsteads with arsnike poison, been wrapped up in lawsuits for years but no fence around the place and its kept mowed?? gotta wonder whats there.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I would definetly want to know more about what they suspect is there. It's not worth it if you do grow that third arm. :P

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Lots of superfund sites in the US. Generally they put down wells to check the flow of the chemicals. If they don't have wells down then they aren't too worried about where its migrating to. You say there is an old fort downhill from the site? Is there a lake or ocean past that? If so then the chemicals are running down the hill to the water. I hope there isn't a city downhill from it or someones water supply. A third arm would be the least to worry about; there are lots of cancer clusters downhill from superfund sites. Chances are that in the last 30 years the chemicals have sunk beyond where you will be digging...hopefully.
Wear gloves and try not to breathe too deep.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kevo I know the site your talking about. The name of the town starts with a w right? For some reason the folks down there DO NOT like detectors or the people who use them. There is great stuff there if you can gain permission. But that will be a major hurdle. They act like they live on top of gold bars. I tried to hunt there many years ago but got tired of doors being slammed in my face. Give it a shot all they can say is no. BTW I sent you a few PMs. Good luck. BTW again I know a guy who hunted the fort site 20 years ago and it took him a truck to bring out all of the stuff he found. That was long before it was a park or whatever they call it now. Back then it was just a wooded area that no one knew about.

Tom

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
It's not growing a third arm that is the biggest concern but having parts fall off that you have now is!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you die trying, got to be worth it. Make sure you die with some oldies in your pocket ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions