What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Ohio River Brass Item

Mkriegs

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2013
Messages
87
Reaction score
148
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While cleaning out the garage, found a brass/wood artifact I found diving in the Ohio River several years ago. Suspect it may be part of an oar? Unfortunately the brass patina was altered when I soaked it to preserve the wood.
 

Attachments

  • brass item 01.webp
    brass item 01.webp
    708.9 KB · Views: 186
  • brass item 02.webp
    brass item 02.webp
    174.4 KB · Views: 166
  • brass item 03.webp
    brass item 03.webp
    436.4 KB · Views: 179
Looks a lot like a whaling bomb lance, but I doubt that as you have found it in the Ohio River. It doesn’t appear to be a part of an oar as I cannot find any vintage oars online that have brass on them. Part of a handlebar of a steamboat is possible, but I doubt it. Are there any markings?
 
Upvote 0
Just from looking at it, the rotted-off wood is likely a pole like a flagpole. The bottom part with the rectangular hole in the side would go into a receptacle on a boat deck or a dock. The rectangular hole would receive a pin or dog to hold it in place.
 
Upvote 0
Just from looking at it, the rotted-off wood is likely a pole like a flagpole. The bottom part with the rectangular hole in the side would go into a receptacle on a boat deck or a dock. The rectangular hole would receive a pin or dog to hold it in place.
It could be a coupler to hook two poles together.
 
Upvote 0
There are no markings. I suspect @Almy and @ToddsPoint spointmay be on the right track and there is another brass piece that it fits into.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom