What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Ohio River Iron Hook

Mkriegs

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2013
Messages
87
Reaction score
148
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found during a dive in the Ohio River near the remains of what I believe was a steamboat wreck. I suspect it could be a hook to hold a ferry or boat in place on the shoreline? The wood is wrapped in copper with the iron hook section driven into the center of the wood piece. The shiny color is due to recent soaking in SP-11 and the iron has been boiled in paraffin wax. Also included some photos before the initial preservation. As you can see, most of the iron had rusted away... The wood is EXTREMELY solid and shows signs of heavy use.
 

Attachments

  • Hook 01.webp
    Hook 01.webp
    849.8 KB · Views: 132
  • hook 02.webp
    hook 02.webp
    475.7 KB · Views: 103
  • hook 03.webp
    hook 03.webp
    211.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Hook 04.webp
    Hook 04.webp
    316.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Hook 05.webp
    Hook 05.webp
    532.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Hook before restoration01.webp
    Hook before restoration01.webp
    700.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Hook before restoration02.webp
    Hook before restoration02.webp
    645.3 KB · Views: 99
I've worked on the inland rivers for almost 50 years and in my opinion it is an early pike pole used for retrieving lines for mooring barges, looks like the spike is broken off the end.
 
Upvote 0
A very unique find :) Where in the Ohio river ? Are you in Ohio
 
Upvote 0
I was going to say pike pole too. Around our area they were used for pushing and poking logs around, besides what Oldrvvrat57 mentioned they were used for. I was a "bay rat" for over 20 years and then a "river rat" for another 60. But most of these pike pole tools were used before I came on the scene.
 
Upvote 0
Another option: This hook was found very close to a historic steamboat construction yard.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-10-30 095533.webp
    Screenshot 2025-10-30 095533.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom