iron.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 107

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve always thought the bottom of the Ohio River must have lots of treasure. Especially from the Falls of the Ohio to the Mississippi River. A lot of piracy from late 1700s into early 1800s in the area of Cave-In-Rock IL. Pirates preyed on early settlers traveling to the newly opened NW Territory, moving down the Ohio in flat boats with all their possessions. Wm Mason gang, the Harpie brothers, numerous bad actors there at that time period. There are surely pirate camps and stashes in that area near the river yet to be discovered.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Mkriegs

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve always thought the bottom of the Ohio River must have lots of treasure. Especially from the Falls of the Ohio to the Mississippi River. A lot of piracy from late 1700s into early 1800s in the area of Cave-In-Rock IL. Pirates preyed on early settlers traveling to the newly opened NW Territory, moving down the Ohio in flat boats with all their possessions. Wm Mason gang, the Harpie brothers, numerous bad actors there at that time period. There are surely pirate camps and stashes in that area near the river yet to be discovered.
Yes and no. There are definitely a ton of great relics and such in the river from the steamboat days. I occasionally find nice bottles, old coins, and other relics but it is uncommon. There are huge expanses of the Ohio River that are barren of artifacts or have been altered by dredging/gravel extraction. There is also a lot of sand/silt/gravel overburden that buries a lot of the artifacts. You also have to remember that most of the items that were stolen during the piracy days were dry goods/farm products such as corn, salted pork, whiskey, ect. Most of the good items I find are from the 1880s - 1930s.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions