What's new

Oiling

Bow Only

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Messages
254
Reaction score
485
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have shown this pic before, but sometimes, oil doesn't make them look better. Here are three points that I found and put them in mineral oil for close to a week. The Woodland point in the middle looks OK, but the oil didn't do the two on the ends any favors. It might have made them less attractive.
 

Attachments

  • Oiled-1.webp
    Oiled-1.webp
    9 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
I may have shown this pic before, but sometimes, oil doesn't make them look better. Here are three points that I found and put them in mineral oil for close to a week. The Woodland point in the middle looks OK, but the oil didn't do the two on the ends any favors. It might have made them less attractive.

Oil or not, I love those points buddy! Super beautiful colors! Good job and God bless!
 
Never tried the oil treatment, but some nose grease now, that's a different story!
 
Does the oil change the color or just give it a glossy look?
 
You cant put the oil on a grainy textured artifact or a quartz but flint is fine. Mineral oil usually improves the color or at least how it should of looked at the time of the making. On quartzite or rayholite it might damage them. The flint ones will return back to their normal color. I put oil on this one before pics and since has gone back to the normal patina.
 

Attachments

  • SDC11671.webp
    SDC11671.webp
    349.8 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom