Ok so here is a question and my introduction

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all I have been reading here since August of last year. I have been detecting for nearly 30 years and I am under 40. I found a commerative cuban coin a while back in August and while looking it up, I ran across this forum. I knew Tnet existed for a long while but I never followed it to closely. I never knew there were people who did such things as CRH, needless to say I read and read and read. I do really appreciate the insight I have gained from here over the last 6 months. I have perfected my technique with all of your help over the last 6 months. I do not post much any where as I work nights and it is difficult. I had great success starting in august and september, but oct and november sucked. December was my best month yet and January has started out not to bad either.

A few high lights: Multiple WL fom 1st box in aug. Multiple Bens. I scored over 115 total silvers from first ordered box. Got my 1st merc, first solid roll of 40's and soon a 2nd and 3rd. I even scored a solid mint roll of 64's in december. I Have found numerous parts of collections from CWR including 45 war nickels from only 40 dollars. I have found numerous buffalos including a 1913 D type 2 (probably my most valuable single coin find). I found my first silver Dollar (1986 statue of Liberty Commerative) from a bag of Ikes I was able to order. Over the course of 6 moths I was able to upgrade my 40%'s to gold. I now have 2 one and a half dollar, 1 one dollar, 2 five dollar and even a ten dollar gold coins. I am only about a hundred 40%'s off for a twenty dollar. So I have been pretty successful (and lucky) by what I have been able to accomplish in such a short time. I did not take pictures but I can if you like. I just want to say thank you for all your help and encouragement. Even though it was not directed at me, like detecting, it helps to see what others have been finding to keep spirits high. I do an average of about 4-5k a week in total to give you an idea of my volume. I started to keep records in october but the minute I did that my finds dropped dramatically, so I gave that up after a month and finally with Christmas as expected my finds went back up. I am not trying to brag and hope it does not come off as such I just wanted to give a little background so you now that I am not BS'ing and to show I do have an idea of what I am doing.

Basically I have 4 bank accounts. 2 have coin counters 2 do not. I am able to drop off 1k in halves at 2 different banks and I run the remainder through the 2 with counters. My credit union has a cummins style, you flip the lid drop them in and it spins them through like a washing machine on speed. It can go through about 600 in less than 2 minutes. The bank counter is a small conveyor type system. You fill the belt, it advances you add more until you finish. It may be able to count 200 in maybe what seems like 10 minutes.

My question is does anyone know exactly how they reject? Is it by size or by weight? I have tried adding foreign coins, and various other tests and experiments over the last few months. This was to verify count (like 100 dollars in dimes and 15 cents) and then mix it up and add some foreign to see what it spits out. I thought it was weight myself. Then I read on here about people buying bags off machines and think why would it have anything in it but it does in their post. So is it by weight or size or a combination of both. I do not think either machine uses a magnet as I have dropped known steel coins through and I got them back. If anyone can please clear this up for me thanks. If you want to see pics I will see what I can do.

Once again thanks for all of your stories and insight into a wonderful new hobby. Sorry if this sounds like I am rambling but I just got home and I had been at work since 7pm sunday night.
GaReb

Upvote 0
Welcome to this forum, Gareb. I think the coin counters reject based on size, weight, and electromagnetic signature.

Is the counter a Cummins Jet Sort?

I have a dump bank that has one. It has a very strong magnet on the top where you pour the coins in. It catches most of the steel coins and junk that gets poured in.

I think Sagitarius is right.

welcome I think Sagitarius is spot on.

Tnet would love to see your gold coins in a picture or two, I am sure they are eye candies.

Congrats on your volume and finds, you are in the big boys league of CRH now.

The bank I use doesn't have a counter however the coinstar at my grocery store doesn't take silver so I have gotten a couple of silver coins.

I thought of just going through the rolls and getting fee free gift cards from coinstar.

But other than that, you have crhing down pat.

Nice! I've got to find another bank to order from. My boxes have been anemic at best. Most of my luck comes from tellers these days.

cunextuesday said:
Nice! I've got to find another bank to order from. My boxes have been anemic at best. Most of my luck comes from tellers these days.
Same here for the most part. When I started back in august the boxes rocked. I was getting between 40 and 90 keepers a box/bag the high was 214 from a 1k bag.
Oct and Nov I think I got maybe 10 total both months.
I have been doing very well since december with CWR scoring on Dec 1st with 180 silver from only 210 dollars in rolls.
I have also gotten 42 from 90 dollars and 24 from 60 dollars. The boxes/bags are still very low with like 4 40% from the last 3k. But I keep on my order streak because the district that I draw from covers some major acreage and I cant possibly hit all the banks before they ship.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back