OK so let me get this straight...........

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I get back to Michigan from Iraq, I plan on going on active duty in the fall to finish otu my 20 years active duty so that I can draw my pension right away. We are thinking of coming to FT Campbell but after researching where I'd be allowed to detect this is what I came up with.

Someone tell me if I'm interpreting this wrong:

In Kentucky, I may not metal detect on any public land.....period.

In Tennesse (which most of FT Campbell sits on) I may metal detect on public land ONLY if I am attempting to find an item specifically belonging to me which I had lost.

Is this correct? If so the SCREW kentucky AND Tennessee....I'm going to FT Leonard Wood, MO!!!

HH,
SgtSki

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weldermark nailed it...but why on earth would you want to hunt public grounds in KY anway? :P

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
Weldermark nailed it...but why on earth would you want to hunt public grounds in KY anway? :P
Well until I get to meet a few more MDers and hook up with a club I plan on starting out hunting city parks and such. I keep hearing about this "Kentucky Heritage Commission" that is attacking the hobby hard and apparently succeeding to the point that a teacher can't even dig in his/her own schoolyard as a demonstration to students. And that this same bunch is even trying to prohibit any digging on private land as well, and that there's bills up for vote right now on the subject. Over on the legal forum there's a lot about this as well.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SgtSki in MI said:
BuckleBoy said:
Well until I get to meet a few more MDers and hook up with a club I plan on starting out hunting city parks and such. I keep hearing about this "Kentucky Heritage Commission" that is attacking the hobby hard and apparently succeeding to the point that a teacher can't even dig in his/her own schoolyard as a demonstration to students. And that this same bunch is even trying to prohibit any digging on private land as well, and that there's bills up for vote right now on the subject. Over on the legal forum there's a lot about this as well.

This has happened several times with the bill...and I'm quite familiar with fighting that one. :-\

I will tell you that private land is where it's at in this state. Not a whole lot left in the parks anymore.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info BB. Maybe I'll get an opportunity to meet you once I get down that way

-SgtSki

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
hmmmmm that laws has so many holes in it they should call it a swiss law.
id say as long as you say you have lost something and never find it ~ they couldnt
say a thing. take a quarter thrown it into a river or something and look for it forever god only know where it could be ? :D

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd consider federal lands "public" however, there are restriction on these lands, too. For example, at Corps of Engineer lakes, metal detecting is only allowed at beaches and other previously disturbed sites. It is best to get the "okay" from the park manager. Of course, the state parks that are on Corps of Engineer's property are still off limit - even the beaches. Same way with Forest Service lands, it is best to get the okay from the district ranger. Also, here in Louisville, the public parks are questionable. I've been told by park employees that M/Ding is not allowed, but when I wrote the Parks Dept., they said that destroying park property, including turf, is not allowed and that if I can do my activity without destroying turf, it is okay. Basically, they did not give me a clear answer to my question, but I feel they left it open to my interpretation.

At any rate, I agree with BB - private lands tend to be less hunted, provide better experiences, and provide for better opportunities!

Good luck and be safe!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookin said:
I'd consider federal lands "public" however, there are restriction on these lands, too. For example, at Corps of Engineer lakes, metal detecting is only allowed at beaches and other previously disturbed sites. It is best to get the "okay" from the park manager. Of course, the state parks that are on Corps of Engineer's property are still off limit - even the beaches. Same way with Forest Service lands, it is best to get the okay from the district ranger. Also, here in Louisville, the public parks are questionable. I've been told by park employees that M/Ding is not allowed, but when I wrote the Parks Dept., they said that destroying park property, including turf, is not allowed and that if I can do my activity without destroying turf, it is okay. Basically, they did not give me a clear answer to my question, but I feel they left it open to my interpretation.

At any rate, I agree with BB - private lands tend to be less hunted, provide better experiences, and provide for better opportunities!

Good luck and be safe!

I didn't see anything against it written into law in Louisville concerning the parks when I moved here. I've detected most of them--and that's a lot of parks. Never once had a problem. And many others detect them too. When you rock the boat by writing to them, they will of course say no. If a Park Service employee asks you to leave, then leave. Even though there is no code against what you're doing (as long as you aren't making a mess!), just leave. Although it never happened to me, that's what I'd do--rather than make waves. Lots of detectorists in these parks--especially Tyler Park in the Highlands. My grand and glorious finds from the parks included a couple of wheats and some CLAD. So after I realized that they'd all been hit so hard, I let 'em be. I've got better uses of my time. :wink:

-Buckleboy

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BB - It was my first trip to a Louisville city park and, although I was filling in all of my holes and replacing the grass plug (you couldn't even tell where I had dug), I was approached by a park employee and was told that it wasn't allowed. I told her thanks for letting me know and I left. It was after that that I wrote the Parks and Recreation Department, asking what the rules are for M/Ding in city parks. Now, the next time I am approached by an uninformed park employee and they tell me that it isn't allowed, I can pull out a copy of that letter and show them that, according to the letter written on their own letterhead, it IS allowed as long as I am not damaging park property, including turf. I'm not damaging turf, I am only temporarily displacing it. I don't believe that inquiring as to what the rules are is rocking the boat, it is just doing what is right by finding out what the rules are. Kind of like getting permission to go detecting on private land, rather than just sneaking onto it. With the amount of trash hits, I'll probably just stay away from the parks, anyways. HH, Lookin

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like parks with lots of trash hits......people give up on them too easy and leave lots of goodies for me!

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sgt, I know what you mean, but I did dig every signal....lots of can tabs, bottle caps, gum wrappers, beer/soda cans, etc. I'd rather hunt an area where every signal reveals something worth digging! Good luck and HH!

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
I agree with Lookin about getting that letter!

In the long run, that's much less trouble for everybody involved...including others in the hobby!

Now, Sgt. Ski, don't you let Nick pull you away from ol' KY with his tall tales of grill and beer. We've got some breweries in this state, so you come on down!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread