Ok. The buckle was to easy. Try this one.

VictorVincimus

Mar 11, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from an old iron furnace from late 1700 to 1865. I found this almost two feet down on what appears to be the original casting floor. It looks like brick with casting sand around it. It also has two white brick looking things that might be a mold from sand casting. Any opinions on opening this thing? There are many more under there. This one took two hours and poison ivy ( again) to get out. Should I chisel this thing or what?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't know where to begin... But I say chisel chisel chisel! What's your gut feeling on it? You think it could have an iron mold in there ? I assume that's tbe hope right??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VictorVincimus

VictorVincimus

Mar 11, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bwwaaahhhaaa. I'm goin in. All the black is iron. Gonna start with the red brick. Could have Been a plug. The white ones could be a two piece mold. The dark red is definently casting sand. It picks right out. Or........could be a boat anchor. It was 30 feet from the furnace. Notice the abundant presence of poison ivy. Most of which is on me now....again. Third round this spring. I need a desert.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VictorVincimus

VictorVincimus

Mar 11, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't any mortar in there. The black is cast iron. The light red is a fire brick. The same kind used in the chimney of the furnace. The white appears to be plaster. It scrapes of pretty easy. The dark red is casting sand used in the process. Here is a pic of the furnace and a rendering of how it worked
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enquiring minds want to know???

Upvote 0

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where was this found in relation to the structure? The furnace I told you about that I volunteer for .. These are the only kinds of molds

image-118213999.jpg

I'm familiar with
Have you been able to find pictures of molds used like yours?
We have a furnace around here that looks similar to your type.. But it dates back to mid 1700's . But there is alot of info on it .

image-933598230.jpg

Wonder if that could have something to do with the small ovens... But I'm still hoping you got a mold in there .

Attachments

• image-2447872724.jpg
    image-2447872724.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting , and hard to say what it could be . could be where slagg leaked thru the sand to the brick underneath . which if i am remembering right they would lay brick in the bottom of the sand box then fill it with sand for the casting to keep the sand seperate from the other soil.
could be a pad built by stacking brick then placing a support post on top of them which would support a leanto roof or other structure .
either way buddy , it wont hurt to chisel them apart and see if there is something inside right ?

* crosses fingers *

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VictorVincimus

VictorVincimus

Mar 11, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Disappointing. Turns out it was a piece from the chimney on the inside of the furnace. Must have been a clean out or a break. The white was fire brick. I'm am thinking the poison ivy was not worth this trip or the carrying of this stone from the site. Why can't I stop digging?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VictorVincimus

VictorVincimus

Mar 11, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find the ramp supports from the ramp to the charging hole. Full of carbon burned stuff and endless targets. You could spend two hours on a 2x 2 area. Also found where the water wheel was the foundation the the structure is still there as well as the road on the other side of the stream. I need to find the other foundations from the shops. Kind of grown up right now. Might have to wait until late fall

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok. Disappointing. Turns out it was a piece from the chimney on the inside of the furnace. Must have been a clean out or a break. The white was fire brick. I'm am thinking the poison ivy was not worth this trip or the carrying of this stone from the site. Why can't I stop digging?

Haha! Don't fight it, just go with it! Resistance is futile!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread