High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
At first I thought it was steel. Then I saw the date. Researched a bit and found these were zinc, brass and copper. I see the zinc, it is all over. The copper is gone and especially on the front brass seems to be bubbling through. With the 40x loupe there roundish bubbles of shiny brass. If necessary maybe I can get better pics. Thanks

cent.JPG cent 2.JPG

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got it all wrong. Starting in the middle of 1982 the composition was changed to zinc core plated with copper. Most of your coin has had the plating removed and the zinc is being corroded. It is easily damaged by moisture. There's no brass in the planchet, it's totally zinc.

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
You've got it all wrong. Starting in the middle of 1982 the composition was changed to zinc core plated with copper. Most of your coin has had the plating removed and the zinc is being corroded. It is easily damaged by moisture. There's no brass in the planchet, it's totally zinc.

Yeah but.... It doesn't look like corrosion. It is shiny brass/gold color, and bubbly looking. I dig my share of corroded ZLincolns, AND they do not look like this. I have Never seen a zinc completely devoid of all copper and look this good. You know what they look like.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what you're see as a bronze color is probably just dirt.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1943 penny that you would swear was copper. But it just was sandwiched between some old copper pennys. You may have a keeper if there is a mint error there. But Im no expert and would say find a local guy who knows pennys.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is quite possible that the brass looking stuff on the Obverse of the coin is an adhesive that has turned a brass color but it is not brass bubbling up from underneath and the rest of the problems seen on the coin are just corrosion, dirt and environmental damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread