What's new

OK! WHO DID IT???

Hydrantman

Full Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Earth
I'm sitting going through yet another box of halves and this one in particular seems to have been a recycled dump as many of them are marked. I don't mind that so much as I too am often curious as to how or when I may be seeing my old dumps circle back around. However, this particular marking had to have been made by a rookie or someone who is only thinking of themselves and not everyone else in the hobby. I know I am not the only one that keeps a few of the "better" looking halves if they are shinning, scratch free, and clean. I came across a 2000-D and it was beautiful... no scratches, good shine, etc. It was an almost perfect coin except.......... THE BIG BLACK 24 WRITTEN ON THE FRONT!

Who ever is using the big black 24... have a little courtasy for the rest of us. If you must mark, mark the bad ones, the dirty ones, the chewed up ones, but leave the good ones for someone else if you aren't keeping them for yourself. Someone may need the good one to fill a book or give it to a God child with the birth year or something.

This is my venting for the day.
 
Upvote 0
Try soaking it in rubbing alcohol for about 10 minutes or until you see the alcohol changing colors then gently wipe it with a lint free or non-abrasive cloth.

I have had to do that on a few coins with the sharpee markings on them.

CLZinTX
 
I just found a 2004 with a purple x in front of Kenedy's mouth.

Cat
 
ME_CO said:
Must be a Jeff Gordon fan. HH Mark
Exactly what I thought. Makes them a double loser..........LOL

I don't think marking coins is good to do. It really serves no purpose.
 
Hydrantman....maybe they are related to the green and black slasher.
 
TonyT said:
Hydrantman....maybe they are related to the green and black slasher.
Or the "I'm an idiot so I will glob on green spray paint" guy......or girl.........
 
Hydrantman said:
THE BIG BLACK 24 WRITTEN ON THE FRONT!

Could it be one of you buddies from Chicago? ;D
e-24.webp
 
Hydrantman...I have just released about $400 worth of brand spanking new 2000-Ds into the wild. They should becoming to a box near you. Stay tuned.
 
TonyT said:
Hydrantman....maybe they are related to the green and black slasher.

The green slasher has evolved. Instead of just putting a green mark across the back of the bicentennials, they are writing the date. I still wonder if the green slasher is related to the red slasher. I once got a box were over 75% had the red slash.
 
gatzdon said:
TonyT said:
Hydrantman....maybe they are related to the green and black slasher.

The green slasher has evolved. Instead of just putting a green mark across the back of the bicentennials, they are writing the date. I still wonder if the green slasher is related to the red slasher. I once got a box were over 75% had the red slash.

I haven't seen the "Green Slasher" lately. This particular box was from mid December. It had been sitting in their vault for awhile. Is the date marked in the upper left hand corner on the back of the Bi's? As for the "24"... could be a Gordan fan, could be a Fire Company #, could be a left wing of a hockey team player's jersey #. I'm not saying that marking a few coins is a bad thing, just don't mark the good looking ones as someone else may want them to keep, fill a book, give to a kid, whatever. I didn't need it but that doesn't mean someone else wont. I just think it's poor "coin searchers etiquete" and a little selfish. I have often been curious as to if or when dumps recycle back to the area. And I'm sure that those who do mark are also curious. One can also get an early idea of how the box will be if they start seeing a bunch of marks within the first few rolls.
 
Hydrantman said:
gatzdon said:
TonyT said:
Hydrantman....maybe they are related to the green and black slasher.

The green slasher has evolved. Instead of just putting a green mark across the back of the bicentennials, they are writing the date. I still wonder if the green slasher is related to the red slasher. I once got a box were over 75% had the red slash.

I just think it's poor "coin searchers etiquete" and a little selfish.
In a nut shell.
 
I just went through two boxes and got some black slashes.

Cat
 
I have come across the now blue and purple slasher. Did this guy or girl buy out the local Staples of all the colored Sharpies! I have encountered several Black 24s myself mixed in with the slasher. I think there could be a relation there.
 
Someone in Vegas is a real high volume searcher. Every time I hit the casinos I find one or two halves with 1-to-4-digit numbers written in black sharpie above "Trust." I've seen this for years.
 
I have now been finding the "dot" marker. I have had several boxes with tons of coins marked with dots in the In God We Trust.
 
TonyT said:
Hydrantman...I have just released about $400 worth of brand spanking new 2000-Ds into the wild. They should becoming to a box near you. Stay tuned.

Apparently the DotMan got to them first. I've found thousands with this stinking dot on them. How much time must one waste to mark so many. I had one box with about 10% BU 2000D and all of them had this dot.
 

Attachments

  • The Dot.webp
    The Dot.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 284
.....and let me repeat myself.........the mark of an idiot..........
 
Those look exactly like the ones I have been seeing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom