old 1867-1897 lumbermill

Old pics, land ownership maps The foundations should be visible as well as any dumps ...lots of metal still laying around

uriykir said:
what would find at a lumbermill, its a metaldetector not a wooddetector

On the contrary, I found a Barber Half and a Morgan Dollar in the same hole at a lumber mill. People got paid for working there, didn't they? Any old business is a good place to hunt. Stop trying to raise your post count with one-sentence replies!

To K-Man: You should get on the property (with permission) and start swinging the detector. Go in the winter or early spring when you can see the land and look for old foundations. Check the flat spots if the woods are hilly. If you start finding lots of iron nails, you'll have found a building site. So make sure you don't discriminate them out. If you start hitting lots of targets on all-metal-mode, slow down and bump up the discrimination a bit. Those buildings were usually just wooden shacks, and they weren't meant to last long--just long enough to log everything in sight--so there are usually lots of nails to be found as a clue.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

thanks for the help gypsy and buckle. well when u get there it is a dead end public land now with a gravel parking area and a monument with the years of themill and a lil about it

Let us know what you find, and best of luck to you.

Regards,

Buckleboy

i'd be all over it !! is there a stream close ??? i'm working an old mill site,, and coming out with some doozies lately... go get em dude.. ;D

Does your research tell you if it was a lumber camp, lumbermill or sawmill. There will be a varying degree of relics depending on what it is. Many landowners had their own smaller sawmill operations that were used only by them and their neighbors ....remnants of these can be found along millponds and small creeks , Full blown logging camps saw a great many loggers in and out and these are where you find the majority of old coins,dumps and iron relics. Fullblown lumbermills (sawmills) were usually set on a river and the relics are a little harder to find as there were multiple layers of sawdust and bark. Dams went out and these lumbermills were often prey to the tempermant of the rivers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back