Old axe today

LostinGeorgia

Aug 21, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpeg
    IMG_1147.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 71
Upvote 10
You could try soaking it overnight in a rust remover called "Blaster" Metal Rescue Rust Remover Bath, that was pointed out on Treasure-Net, took the rust off down to the metal. It is non-Toxic etc. etc. so no fumes. It works.

Been a while since I found one. Rough shape donā€™t know if I can do anything with it. Good luck everybody.
I have never tried the Blaster metal rescue, but I have tried the vinegar bathā€¦ Dug up a nice medium to large hewing axe head and did two vinegar baths. Basically used regular vinegar in a bucket and soaked for 3-4 days, removed axe head from the vin bath and gave it a good brushing and rinse, then onto the second bath for another 4-5 daysā€¦ Afterwards I rinsed it off and wiped with a light coat of oil... It came out pretty decent compared to what it originally looked like and the vinegar removed all of the rust. I have never tried any form of electrolysis, but I would like to. I was told years ago by this old timer family friend to use vinegar for rust removal on tools and any dug up or buried items, which I have done so and it has always done a decent job and removed all rustā€¦ Itā€™s an economical solution, which is a plus and it has worked for me on various items from pliers to axe heads, from dive knives to railroad spike and too many items to mention. Maybe give it a shotā€¦Iā€™m sure there are others on here that have also done a vinegar bath and no doubt know much more than myself or have other ideas or suggestions for you. Good luck and hopefully you can give the axe a new lease on lifeā€”if you want to of course! šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ˜¬

Bernitup. Yes sir, I have used the vinegar method, takes a while, but I had also learned on T-Net, that when using the vinegar, if soaking iron, iron being porous, you might need to soak the item in baking soda water mix, the baking soda drawing the acidity of the vinegar out of the iron, to prevent damage from the inside out.

Nice old axe head. By the way, where are you lost at in Georgia? The piece you have above the axehead and just to the right resembles a sling swivel from off of a musket.

Ahhhh, DAWG Country. That was horrible about the young 22 year old nursing student found murdered on the UGA campus.
Yea terrible big problems in country. Yes I am in Dawg country but not a bulldog. Always a Cornhusker. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m ā€œLost in Georgia.

Yea terrible big problems in country. Yes I am in Dawg country but not a bulldog. Always a Cornhusker. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m ā€œLost in Georgia.
Noooooo, not a Cornhusker...Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back