Old bones, a tooth and an artifact

Davidtx85

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2012
Southeast Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

These items were found on the upper texas coast beach and near Sabine Lake in SE Texas. The two tooth pics, the two round object pics and the two wing shaped object pics are just different views of the same item. Notice the barnacles on the tooth.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
is everything 2 inches? Material? some good close up photos of the winged shaped item would also help.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Davidtx85

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2012
Southeast Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0429.JPG

The two inch mark is there so viewers can have an idea of how big each item is. As shown in the picture, some items are smaller than the two inch line and some are larger. The round black object feels like rock. The wing looking object is rock. The tooth is hard like a rock. The bone feels like its "almost" petrified. Maybe not all the way petrified but definitely harder than a regular bone.

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a guess, but with barnacles on it, I'd say the tooth may have come from a marine mammal. (Of course it could also just have been dropped in the sea.) The black round object could be the bowl part of a fire-starter apparatus -- the part where you put in a pinch of dry tinder, then use friction from a bow-drill to ignite it. The last thing just looks like a rock, but maybe if you could get a close up it would be easier to see.

Sorry, I just realized that I could click to enlarge the photo. The rock appears to contain part of a fossilized bryozoan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I look at that tooth, the more I think it may be a pre-molar for some sort of ungulate (deer, elk, etc.) Could be from a peccary as well. However, if the bone is mineralized, and if the tooth is also old, they could even have come from a now extinct or extirpated species -- say a camel, for example.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Davidtx85

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2012
Southeast Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This area of beach was about 5-10 miles out in prehistoric times. Many, many Clovis points have been found washed up on the beach from ancient sites that are now offshore. I have also found several pieces of fossilized bone with cut marks on them as well as large fossilized leg bones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Davidtx85

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2012
Southeast Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@archeodeb, how would the indians make the hole in the rock like that? The bottom of the hole is flat and definitely man made.

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@archeodeb, how would the indians make the hole in the rock like that? The bottom of the hole is flat and definitely man made.
It is not hard. You can start with a rock that already has a natural hole or chip a small rough hole. Either way, just using another stone to grind the inside out will do the trick. Depending upon the type of stone it could be really slow or really fast work. Limestone or sandstone, for two examples, can be scratched with fingernails if it is wet. Granite... different story!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread