Old Brick laying trowel, but how old?

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in the vicinity of an 1880's railroad and an old 1920's brick road. There are no brick walls in this area in 1995 (per google earth) nor are there now. A few homesteads back in the day in and around the vicinity. Unearthed due to sidewalk work churning up a lot of dirt in the area.

Could this possibly have been used for the 1920's brick road making or the old outlying concrete like slabs of the roads of that era?

Anyway to safely clean it to possibly see if any markings or better to just leave it as is?

Mostly just curious how old it is.

View attachment 1866740 View attachment 1866741 View attachment 1866742 View attachment 1866743

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is it. Many moons ago I started out as mason. My trowels all looked like that. So do little garden trowels. But it's deffenetly an old one. Home depote still carries that style with wood handles or plastic.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
How big is it. Many moons ago I started out as mason. My trowels all looked like that. So do little garden trowels. But it's deffenetly an old one. Home depote still carries that style with wood handles or plastic.

Thank you for your response. It is 5 1/4 inches long from where the handle attaches. And 3 inches wide at its widest part.

Upvote 0

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then it's either a garden trowel or could be a pointing trowel Used to fill in new cement around bricks were old cement fell out. still a nice find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread