I got out of my pickup and saw some metal sticking out.To avoid flats I had to pick it up. Sure looks like a trigger guard to me. Maybe a shotgun? Looking for opinions.
With the little protrusion as indicated by the red arrow and that shape hook, I am still saying it is a corn husker's iron. Also, it doesn't appear th have any tabs on it that would secure a trigger guard .
All the corn huskers I've ever seen were made of flat metal, not cast. Cast wouldn't hold an edge. It sure looks like a broken version of this shotguns trigger guard to me
All the corn huskers I've ever seen were made of flat metal, not cast. Cast wouldn't hold an edge. It sure looks like a broken version of this shotguns trigger guard to me
The shape of this piece has obviously been deformed, bent, or otherwise altered from its original state. Since cast iron is brittle hard and non-malleable, it can't be bent, stretched or hammered into shape. Its weak tensile strength means that it will fracture before it bends or distorts.
It does appear to be part of a triggerguard. It is only the loop around the trigger, both the front and back are missing so the attachment points are gone.