What's new

Old buckle needs identified

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
376
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this buckle in a civil war camp area I was hunting. The area I was hunting dates back to the 1700's and had a lot of civil war activity as well. I am not familiar with these styles of buckles. Can anybody please identify and put an approximate date on it? It measure about 2 3/8 X 1 7/8.
 

Attachments

  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Buckle.webp
    Buckle.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 266
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 259
Late 17th century (1600s) plain shoe buckle... maybe. I'm not saying it is - just that it looks like it could be.

You'll have to judge it by it's degredation, material, and best guess based on location, which you've already done.
 
Upvote 0
I'd say well into the 1800s or early 19s... best guess. Nothing too over the top with that one.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
I'd say well into the 1800s or early 19s... best guess.   Nothing too over the top with that one.

I agree it absolutly could be - now looking at it again it is not brass... which would change everything
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
I'd say well into the 1800s or early 19s... best guess. Nothing too over the top with that one.

yeap & proberly horse tack related
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom