What's new

Old bullet? YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!

richm

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys this is riches son, Paul, just wondering if this was a civil war bullet or not? i had found this at the old 1700's house that we've been detecting. i had got that idea because of the three rings. .............. Paul PLEASE HELP ASAP THANK YOU.
 

Attachments

  • bullet1.webp
    bullet1.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 765
  • bullet2.webp
    bullet2.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 612
  • bullet3.webp
    bullet3.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 633
Rando said:
melted them for bullets?

Wouldn't lead that old, probably be low-alpha?

I must assume that they were low alpha (1860s through 1890s)... I dunno if he ever fired them either - but I watched him make a bunch and throw them in a box. I guess we shoulda called IBM andtried to sell them - hell, I have a few pounds of it here that I can sell.

This is WAY off topic.
 
Upvote 0
It's off topic but interesting. I don't quite know what to do with low-alpha lead. Is it worth a lot more than modern lead? Where is the best place to take it?

Thanks,

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Turtlefoot13, your bullet has a copper jacket.

I have been diffing up ALOT of pieces of lead pipe. Might be worth trying to figure out how old it is.
 
Upvote 0
Rando said:
BioProfessor said:
It's off topic but interesting. I don't quite know what to do with low-alpha lead. Is it worth a lot more than modern lead? Where is the best place to take it?

Thanks,

Daryl

http://www.olovo.com/

Low alpha lead is more value in the computing industry and for radiation and Xray shielding in some applications.

It can be worth 40.00 a pound, as compared to less than a dollar a pound for later lead. Most lead made before 1945 is of this variety. it has to do with the deplation of radioactive elements within the lead over time.
I have over a Hundred weight of that 8)...sorry to go of Topic :P

SS
 
Upvote 0
SS, you've got medieval and Roman lead. May be worth more.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
SS, you've got medieval and Roman lead. May be worth more.

Daryl
Yes Daryl....a lot of old lead, but Cru reckons it's got to be older than 3 hundred years old :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Yep, so yours isn't older than 1700? Come on, you guys bush stuff that's not that old. :D

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Montana Jim said:
kuger said:
MONTANA JIM!!!!!!I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YA BUT THEY WONT LET ME P.M!!!my e-mail is ellilou@sbcglobal.net

They?
Yea,T-net,I got into a tiff with some "people",that were site jumping me and were kicked off another forum,for bragging about it then came on here a year later and attacked me!I attacked back the most civil way I knew,through P.M.,I guess I that wasnt the thing to do either.That happened a while ago.The mods have a job too.I sure wish I could get that privelidge back though ??? :-\

Wow... Drama! Okay - I'll e-mail you eventually... I'm in Cheyenne, Wyoming this week and away from e-mail.
 
Upvote 0
Back to the bullet. Color don't mean squat. The soil conditions and or moisture or lack thereof determine the condition and color of the bullet. This bullet is a rifle bullet but without measurements I don't know what caliber. It could be from the late 1800s up to contemporary times. Many people of yore saved up pieces of lead and cast their own bullets and some still do. A couple of the best ways to determine the ID of a bullet is to know the diameter and weight. Knowing that will eliminate a thousand of variables. My answer? I don't know. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom