What's new

Old bullet? YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!

richm

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys this is riches son, Paul, just wondering if this was a civil war bullet or not? i had found this at the old 1700's house that we've been detecting. i had got that idea because of the three rings. .............. Paul PLEASE HELP ASAP THANK YOU.
 

Attachments

  • bullet1.webp
    bullet1.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 765
  • bullet2.webp
    bullet2.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 612
  • bullet3.webp
    bullet3.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 633
I think a bullet, but is much later than CW. (Have found quite a few of these)
 
Upvote 0
any idea on the year???
 
Upvote 0
Looks like it is probably a 45-70. Its defiantly an early brass cased lead cast round. It is probably from around the 1880s or later.
 
Upvote 0
I shoot an 1873 Springfield 45-70 and this isn't like any of mine. I can't figure out the color. Old lead should have a whitish patina. This one is red??

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I shoot an 1873 Springfield 45-70 and this isn't like any of mine. I can't figure out the color. Old lead should have a whitish patina. This one is red??

Daryl


Every one I have found have been grey.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
BioProfessor said:
I shoot an 1873 Springfield 45-70 and this isn't like any of mine. I can't figure out the color. Old lead should have a whitish patina. This one is red??

Daryl


Every one I have found have been grey.

yeah, I've had plenty grey
 
Upvote 0
Whitish patina on a lead bullet makes it look light grey but can also look more white. Never seen one this color though.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • bullets.webp
    bullets.webp
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,533
Upvote 0
I'd agree with the .45-70 assumption, but the color is off - that is odd. Unless it's just the camera and lighting.

I don't dig these by the bullet - I dig .45-70 & .50-70 rounds with slight variences in rings (dropped and fired) by the pound. Even after at least 130 years they look like lead - grey. The lead doesn't oxidize here so they don't even turn white. I have a quarter and a .45-70 in front of me right now - they look the same.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a bullet I found a couple of months ago. It is undoubtedly not as old as yours but has the same general color. Mine has what looks like a bit of copper attached to it. It is almost like the copper and lead caused a funky discoloration to the lead. BTW the hollow part of the bottom of mine was totally white like what I would expect lead to look like.

Doug

newbullet001.jpg

newbullet002.jpg
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
Bullets by the pound?? Holy smokes.

Daryl

The area I hunt was an open fort for almost 30 years... I'll empty a bag...

There's between 90 and 100 .45-70/.50-70 rounds and a few unknowns here, and another 20-30 others (various musket, minis & maxies, pistol, unknowns). I also handed half as many again to my detecting buddy who melted and made his own .45-70 rounds with them. He also has dug as many as I have.

These were almost ALL dug in 2007 (have only been detecting a few times in 08/09). The lighting is off but they are all dull grey.

IMG_0101.webp
 
Upvote 0
various soil conditions can leave lead bullets in verious shades of color --- dull gray --or oxidze it (whitish)-- turn it a reddish tone (high iron content in soil --red clay ) theres yellow clay as well , as well as red dark black earth --loomy soil
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
various soil conditions can leave lead bullets in verious shades of color --- dull gray --or oxidze it (whitish)-- turn it a reddish tone (high iron content in soil --red clay ) theres yellow clay as well , as well as red dark black earth --loomy soil
i agree with the soil types also the ph level. acidic soil is ruff on stuff. stuff in well drained sand shows real light colored bright white lead
 
Upvote 0
ok jim how many rusty square nails for some of those cw era type bullets I see in the photo? -- I know you love square nails -- ( so hows about a 1859 half dime instead?)-- hows about a rail road spike from the first train tracks laid in florida?

the local kids at my wifes school have to look at the pitiful "small collection"-- I got that the wifes swiped from me for " her program "-- during the time the music class studies "civil war era" she bust out the collection --union eagle A button --- confederate enlisted csn naval button -- a 69 3 ringer --a williamson "cleaner" with base -- a confederate 2 ringer rifle bullet --and the coins --a IH -- 2 center , a 3 cent nickle & half dime plus a token
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
ok jim how many rusty square nails for some of those cw era type bullets I see in the photo? -- I know you love square nails -- ( so hows about a 1859 half dime instead?)-- hows about a rail road spike from the first train tracks laid in florida?

the local kids at my wifes school have to look at the pitiful "small collection"-- I got that the wifes swiped from me for " her program "-- during the time the music class studies "civil war era" she bust out the collection --union eagle A button --- confederate enlisted csn naval button -- a 69 3 ringer --a williamson "cleaner" with base -- a confederate 2 ringer rifle bullet --and the coins --a IH -- 2 center , a 3 cent nickle & half dime plus a token

Didn't I send you a bunch of square nails last year Ivan? LOL
 
Upvote 0
yeh but these are florida square nails * not midwestern ones --ohh ah -- I liked the "history" of the ones I got from you --I know you hate square nails --thus the joke

besides lead is more valuible than rusty nails -- I'm trying to move up the food chain trade wize. ;D :icon_thumright:

and no the $1200 dollar csn navy button is not for trade . :icon_pirat:
 
Upvote 0
I got green patina square bronze nails. Where does that put me on the food chain.

And I swear that I didn't know the period black powder 45/70 bullets I shot up were 3-ringers. Dang it. :tongue3:

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom