What's new

old button with design on the backside

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Thought I'd give this a post over here. Here is the post in TF if you need scale. about the size of a nickel

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,285518.0.html


I can read GILT and see a wreath around the eye. then there is a design around the outer edge.

Regular old button?

thanks for looking
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3200.webp
    IMG_3200.webp
    52.3 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_3200.webp
    IMG_3200.webp
    52.3 KB · Views: 308
I've dug several with that design and I just always figured they were regular ole flat buttons. Maybe someone will know something I don't.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I've dug several with that design and I just always figured they were regular ole flat buttons. Maybe someone will know something I don't.

its odd that there is such a nice design on the back and nothing on the front.
 
Upvote 0
It is odd but they did that sometimes. It's possible the design has some meaning but if so I don't know what it is. If t does mean something hopefully someone will know what it is.
 
Upvote 0
Found another one tonight. This one says TREBLE GILT with an eagle on the back.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3226.webp
    IMG_3226.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Here are some other eagle backed buttons although different. I believe they are civilian. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,201043.0.html
Like Bigcypresshunter said the ones with the eagle on the back are civilian. I don't know what company made the buttons with them on the back though. The Treble Gilt means the button was dipped in gold gilt 3 times There also buttons backmarked gilt, dipped once and double gilt, dipped twice
 
Upvote 0
I have heard some of the old timers talk about there being an over-run on some buttons and so they just turned them over and put the shank on the front and sold them as plain coin buttons. That is the story as I remember it, maybe some one will remember more about it. I do remember them talking about the one with the eagle on the back.
 
Upvote 0
duggap said:
I have heard some of the old timers talk about there being an over-run on some buttons and so they just turned them over and put the shank on the front and sold them as plain coin buttons. That is the story as I remember it, maybe some one will remember more about it. I do remember them talking about the one with the eagle on the back.
that's right they did use the face of some buttons for the backs. I've dug several. The one above though is not one of them. The eagle on that is just part of the backmark.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom