AP552

Apr 9, 2015
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg image.jpeg Found this tonight in an area filled with old stone walls. I dug a 1824 large cent there recently, so I'm using that as a possible age reference for the site. There's some before and after pictures but it appears to have a ring of small stars inside of which appear to be the letters L and A. I see the A but I'm not positive on the L. The shank is still intact and all in all its in pretty good shape. If anyone can ID it I'd love to hear it. Thanks for looking. HH image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 9

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks old, I found an old Military button at a park near my house first for me,

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
The LA stands for "Light Artillery" underneath it is usually a number signifying the regiment number of Light Artillery. That button dates to the War of 1812.

OP
OP
AP552

AP552

Apr 9, 2015
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Thank you, I thought I could see something below the letters but wasn't sure. I was staring at it so long I was convinced that my brain just wanted to see it.

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
Wow! Thank you, I thought I could see something below the letters but wasn't sure. I was staring at it so long I was convinced that my brain just wanted to see it.

No problem. I would say under that crust is a lot more detail than what it looks like now. The regiment # is under that and if you're patient you can get that crust off. You just have to use the right technique to clean it and I can't help you too much with that.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing how some items are identified. Good job there Ekeisler

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't wait to see it cleaned lightly with more details on it,looks like a keeper!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread