What's new

Old button With letters and stars

AP552

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
84
Reaction score
265
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.webpimage.webpFound this tonight in an area filled with old stone walls. I dug a 1824 large cent there recently, so I'm using that as a possible age reference for the site. There's some before and after pictures but it appears to have a ring of small stars inside of which appear to be the letters L and A. I see the A but I'm not positive on the L. The shank is still intact and all in all its in pretty good shape. If anyone can ID it I'd love to hear it. Thanks for looking. HHimage.webpimage.webp
 
Upvote 18
looks old, I found an old Military button at a park near my house first for me,
 
The LA stands for "Light Artillery" underneath it is usually a number signifying the regiment number of Light Artillery. That button dates to the War of 1812.
 
Wow! Thank you, I thought I could see something below the letters but wasn't sure. I was staring at it so long I was convinced that my brain just wanted to see it.
 
Wow! Thank you, I thought I could see something below the letters but wasn't sure. I was staring at it so long I was convinced that my brain just wanted to see it.

No problem. I would say under that crust is a lot more detail than what it looks like now. The regiment # is under that and if you're patient you can get that crust off. You just have to use the right technique to clean it and I can't help you too much with that.
 
Much appreciated, thanks again
 
Looks like the war of 1812 button, nice one..
 
It is amazing how some items are identified. Good job there Ekeisler
 
Can't wait to see it cleaned lightly with more details on it,looks like a keeper!
 
Excellent find,
You just never know what is going to pop out of the ground.
Congrats
 
That is one amazing button.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom