What's new

Old coin can you tell what the date is this time (part 2)

dduffy

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2008
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
I was back out yesterday at the farm that I found the medallion from "Ohio State University" no THE and marked 1870. I was hunting for about 3 hours and found allot of nice things but no coin. It was getting dark and I could see the full Moon coming up so i figured I would try inside of the foundation one more time before calling it a day. I found the top to a gas lamp and got another signal and figured it maybe part of the lamp and could not believe my luck another large cent. So it looks like I'm going to try Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning this time.The 1st large one cent i tried Diet coke on and it came clean but was pitted to bad to find the date. This coin does not have as much crud on it and you can see most of the date. :help: What do you think Diet coke or Hydrogen Peroxide :dontknow: :help: Any information on the other items would be helpful.

Duff
 

Attachments

  • 1-27-10 finds.webp
    1-27-10 finds.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 1 cb.webp
    1 cb.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 403
  • 18 4.webp
    18 4.webp
    125.5 KB · Views: 381
  • bell.webp
    bell.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 393
  • 1cf.webp
    1cf.webp
    74.5 KB · Views: 410
  • clip.webp
    clip.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 401
  • horse.webp
    horse.webp
    69.4 KB · Views: 399
  • knife.webp
    knife.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 383
  • not sure.webp
    not sure.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 392

Attachments

  • patent suspender buckle.webp
    patent suspender buckle.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 377
  • water well.webp
    water well.webp
    94.5 KB · Views: 372
  • water well.webp
    water well.webp
    94.5 KB · Views: 352
  • water well chain pump.webp
    water well chain pump.webp
    129.8 KB · Views: 367
  • patent suspender buckle.webp
    patent suspender buckle.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 353
  • water well link4.webp
    water well link4.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0
I dont know anything about sleighbells but I seem to have stumbled upon a match for your bell with the horseshoe shapes. (The bells under it have an 1878 patent date).
http://www.santassleighbells.com/santa.html
 

Attachments

  • bell dduffy.webp
    bell dduffy.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 346
  • bells 1878 patent.webp
    bells 1878 patent.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 381
Upvote 0
That LC looks to be in decent shape. I think I would try the hot peroxide and toothpick trick on that one.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know anything about sleighbells but I seem to have stumbled upon a match for your bell with the horseshoe shapes. (The bells under it have an 1878 patent date).
http://www.santassleighbells.com/santa.html


bigcypresshunter- Thank you... I was thinking maybe it would be a bell that you would put around a milk cow's neck. I have found horse shoe's so that makes more sense.

Duff
 
Upvote 0
I see 1852 on the LC.

Nice digs!

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
dduffy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know anything about sleighbells but I seem to have stumbled upon a match for your bell with the horseshoe shapes. (The bells under it have an 1878 patent date).
http://www.santassleighbells.com/santa.html


bigcypresshunter- Thank you... I was thinking maybe it would be a bell that you would put around a milk cow's neck. I have found horse shoe's so that makes more sense.
I have found a number of them and found 25 of them in the river(that are posted in the Michigan forum from last summer.) with most still attached to the leather. In the picture the bells on the right have the patent date on them. On the one he found they don't have a patent date but on some of them there are makers initials on the bottom by the opening. There is a website that has dates for the makers marks if they have them on the bell. I can't remember the site but if you put in crotal bells you should be able to find it. Nice finds. :thumbsup:
Hey BCH you probally don't find many in Fla. do ya? :laughing7:
Wolverine.

Duff
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I see 1852 on the LC.

Nice digs!

DCMatt

Thank you DCMatt
I soak all night in Hydrogen Peroxide and it looks allot better. I see 185:dontknow: What do you think the last number is?

Duff
 

Attachments

  • 1 cent.webp
    1 cent.webp
    150.1 KB · Views: 246
  • dates.webp
    dates.webp
    155.7 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0
dduffy said:
DCMatt said:
I see 1852 on the LC.

Nice digs!

DCMatt

Thank you DCMatt
I soak all night in Hydrogen Peroxide and it looks allot better. I see 185:dontknow: What do you think the last number is?

Duff

1852 is what I see. It seems to be turning out pretty good, but I think it can get a little better. :thumbsup: You can expedite the process of the peroxide if you heat a small amount in the microwave until it boils. Then drop your coin in for just a few seconds or minutes, sometimes longer. You have to keep checking the process like this, as you can go to far. Those thicker, crustier looking spots should come off with a toothpick if you work at it each time you take it out of the peroxide dip. If the peroxide gets cool, just heat it back up again. Once you are happy with the results.....be sure to rinse, no rubbing, your coin under distilled water to remove any peroxide residual.
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne- Thank you for looking. No more Diet coke looks like Hydrogen Peroxide works allot better. The bubbling has pretty much stopped so i think you right no more dirt. I am going to use the toothpick and stop because I seem to over do things allot and then wish I would have stopped. Look at this ceramic thing my girl friend gave me. Pretty sure she would not approve :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :dontknow:.
 

Attachments

  • P1019531.webp
    P1019531.webp
    16 KB · Views: 232
  • P1019532.webp
    P1019532.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
dduffy said:
72cheyenne- Thank you for looking. No more Diet coke looks like Hydrogen Peroxide works allot better. The bubbling has pretty much stopped so i think you right no more dirt. I am going to use the toothpick and stop because I seem to over do things allot and then wish I would have stopped. Look at this ceramic thing my girl friend gave me. Pretty sure she would not approve :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :dontknow:.

Cool, nice set-up :D
 
Upvote 0
dduffy said:
72cheyenne- Thank you for looking. No more Diet coke looks like Hydrogen Peroxide works allot better. The bubbling has pretty much stopped so i think you right no more dirt. I am going to use the toothpick and stop because I seem to over do things allot and then wish I would have stopped. Look at this ceramic thing my girl friend gave me. Pretty sure she would not approve :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :dontknow:.

Excellent set-up! :D :D :icon_thumright: That largie is coming out nice. Some will be that way, and some won't. If you ever see what looks like layers coming off of the coin, or corrosion pits around the edges, there may not be much help for a coin like that other than dry toothpicking.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom