What's new

old coin, dont know origin

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
952
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
old coin, don't know origin

There are no discernable words/mottos. There is an M on one side, rider and horse are easy to see.
dsc00260l.jpg


Opposite side features date of 1783. I can't make out the other except maybe a large E over a F, Then again with that date it may not be an F, but maybe an S
dsc00262d.jpg

dsc00261r.jpg


I am new here, but you folks sure seem to be able to help with the unknowns, with some good information.

Thanx,
BW
 
Re: old coin, don't know origin

Looks like a Russian kopek from the reign of Catherine II, a.k.a. Catherine the Great. Here's a similar coin dated 1790:

1137523383_83.webp
 

Attachments

  • 1137523383_83.webp
    1137523383_83.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 379
Upvote 0
Re: old coin, don't know origin

My apologies, I wrongly posted in this area. Was going to repost in coins, but see what happens when a guy turns his back.
He has his question answered already.

Thanks PBK, will pay more attention in future.

BW
 
Upvote 0
Re: old coin, don't know origin

Glad I could help, BW!

It's fine to post unidentified coins in What Is It?
 
Upvote 0
Re: old coin, don't know origin

PBK said:
Glad I could help, BW!

It's fine to post unidentified coins in What Is It?

indeed :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: old coin, don't know origin

It might be a fake.
Take a look at coin that PBK had shown, and at one page of Russian catalog.
See the difference, and check how heavy Your coin is. :wink:

Don't worry - even if it's a fake, is much more rare find. :icon_thumright:

Pozdrawiam
Matejko
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom