Old coin? PLEASE HELP

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this coin-like item and would like to know if anyone can identify it. I tried to zoom in the best I could. There is some type of marking on the "front" of the coin, but I can't make anything out of the "back" due to pitting. Thanks for all information.
20160703_184024.jpg
20160703_184053.jpg

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be an off center strike, but there should be enough to ID it. Somebody will stop by with a good idea. I'm inclined to guess 18th century or earlier.

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; A Good Guess here ok. First I believe it is a coin. That it is very early 1700's and maybe even mid - late 1600's. It is NOT lead. Lead does not turn green like that. I believe it is copper. Lastly, DO NOT CLEAN IT. !!! Let a PRO do it for sure. I think you do have something special there and cleaning it the wrong way "WILL" destroy it and any value it has ok. PEACE:RONB

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very old I would not clean it either That's exciting Great find!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a comparison photo.
20160705_092812.jpg

Upvote 0

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I looked up Viking coinage (because to me that'd be the most exciting) but didn't see a match after a very quick search.

Could be Spanish though.

36f393bacd60bb1bfecbe15ebcb2da97.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking...I'd love to find out what it is. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My greatest find so far probably.

Upvote 0

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a Roman copper. Try PMing Crusader. That guy is unbelievable

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I don't believe it is an Ancient coin. I think it is early Spanish. There were NO Ancients here in the USA. If it were an Ancient coin found in America then folks we would have to rewrite ALL of the History books. The only other EXTREMELY remote possibility would be a tourist brought home from vacation and lost it in Virginia. I doubt it ok. PEACE:RONB

Upvote 0

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I don't believe it is an Ancient coin. I think it is early Spanish. There were NO Ancients here in the USA. If it were an Ancient coin found in America then folks we would have to rewrite ALL of the History books. The only other EXTREMELY remote possibility would be a tourist brought home from vacation and lost it in Virginia. I doubt it ok. PEACE:RONB

There are no reliable records of ancients in America, but that is no conclusive in and of itself. More than likely over the last few thousand years mariners lost at sea have landed on these shores. Chances of finding a coin they lost? Probably pretty remote. Another possibility besides a vacationer, is that this was brought in by settlers and lost, possibly having been lost here for several 100 years.

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no reliable records of ancients in America, but that is no conclusive in and of itself. More than likely over the last few thousand years mariners lost at sea have landed on these shores. Chances of finding a coin they lost? Probably pretty remote. Another possibility besides a vacationer, is that this was brought in by settlers and lost, possibly having been lost here for several 100 years.

Here is a paper I found on the net. Not sure if it is real or not...I didn't fact or name check...

http://www.globalserve.net/~yuku/tran/7c1.htm

Cool find!! If that was mine I wouldn't be able to sleep wondering what it was!:laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm with 'barker' on this one.
If it turns out to be a coin, I would guess it's a Spanish 'maravedi'.
And if the 'coin' is not ID-ed within a reasonable time (at the end of your patience), I'd start to carefully and slowly clean it.
Don.......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread