Old coin

SCUFFLES

Apr 27, 2019
Quebec Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone verify if this coin is real or fake, and how much it would be worth. Thanks

12FEFB95-B6CF-4A99-8FF2-8F9BB298561F.jpeg

5CEDC468-8097-4493-8640-55ED806A5136.jpeg

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detail looks way too good to be a real coin, so guessing it's a fake.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
It looks like a drummer, with pigtails, sitting on a stool while holding a giant pair of sunglasses. 😆 I’m not familiar with any such coin. Good luck though!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a copy of a Kings of Parthia drachm. How did you acquire it, and does it have a mould seam around the edge (usually the giveaway for fakes and copies)?

These coins have a ‘seated archer’ reverse with a number of variations on the ‘Royal formula’ as the legend in very stylised Greek characters, but typically:

ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΝ ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ, meaning "[coin] of King of Kings Arsaces, the benefactor (Euergetes), the just (Dikaios), the illustrious (Epiphanes), friend of the Greeks (Philhellen)". Like this:

Royal Formula.jpg

{Attribution]: Starnutoditopo - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=56359966

The name “Arsaces” indicates the Arsacid dynasty, with Artabanus I being the first to use the “King of Kings” title in 127 BC. You can get a feel for what a genuine coin might sell for (dealer prices) at the link below. There isn’t huge variation between the various rulers and prices aren’t that high because the coins were produced in fairly large numbers:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/co...field&countitems=47&changeDisplayList=&page=1

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Initially, I have no problem with the coin. It appears to be minted during the reign of Artabanus IV (10-38 AD).
Take a look at a real one and note the similarities.
Don in SoCal.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Initially, I have no problem with the coin. It appears to be minted during the reign of Artabanus IV (10-38 AD).
Take a look at a real one and note the similarities.

I think the jury's still out here, and I'm still leaning towards 'copy', but I would like to see a view of the edge and any possible sign of an edge seam.

The 'similarities' are inevitable on many copies, since they're often produced in moulds cast from genuine coins.

I declined to give a view on which of the Parthian kings it might be from since several of them used essentially the same portrait and reverse design/legend. For example, note that although the coin linked above is labelled as from Artabanus IV, the fuller description says that it's also attributed to Artabanus II (because of those kinds of uncertainty).

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
If it is authentic, it’s in sensational condition. What is the provenance on it? Family heirloom, bought on-line, etc.? More info usually helps. Thanks.

SHAWANIDetecter77

May 23, 2023
Libya
Detector(s) used
Fisher cold bug Db Pro
After reading the brothers' comments and seeing the pictures of the real currency, especially those shown on eBay, I believe that the currency is 100% original.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting...I'm unfamiliar with drachmas or whatever it might be. Following along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions