Old correspondence...........

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Between family of my grandmother's great grand parents, Brothers John Henry Dutton in Vincennes Indiana and Jacob, Hezekiah, James Dutton and Rufus and Mary Brown, who are nephew and niece to the Dutton bros. Dialog is somewhat dry, the common denominator seems to be who has or has not survived since last writing, as life must have been a precarious balance, as one family member has died from the kick of a horse to the head, talk of produce prices, and pork being 2.50 per hundred weight, and beef at 5.00, also talk of the progress of the railroad, and machinery except one that will grind the old and turn them young again. The oldest being 1846, the newest, 1863 corresponding between Vincennes Indiana and 7 mile Ford Smythe Virginnia, interesting.........

Attachments

• olddoc1.jpg
    olddoc1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 317
  • olddoc2.jpg
    olddoc2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 316
  • olddoc3.jpg
    olddoc3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 304
  • olddoc4.jpg
    olddoc4.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 315
  • olddoc5.jpg
    olddoc5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 311

xGregx

Feb 13, 2008
Elkhart,In
Detector(s) used
-=XP Deus=-At Pro=-
I have always found it interesting the quality of penmanship back then compared to today.

OP
OP
Fred (S.Indiana)

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Yeah, the fact is that they could read and Write, my dad says that John Henry Dutton was a farmer in Knox county and had a huge spread of acreage and was known as the "melon king" for the melons he shipped by flat boat down the wabash to Louisiana......fred

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread