Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have finally found an MD partner.I met and hooked up with civilman1.I have permission for us to hunt a farm on Sugarloaf Mtn in Maryland.I was not into civil war stuff until he showed me the VERY nice breast plate that he found which sparked my interest pretty hard.He has done some research and found there was some skirmishes and activity in this area.The farm is 500 acres, so its gonna take some time.We met there this morning and went at it.With so much land ,where to start?I figured we should go down by the creek.I figured to water horses and such ,should be a likely spot.We hunted about 3hrs,and covered a very small area.Went to lunch and got back to the farm when to weather had taken a DRASTIC change for the worst.It got very windy, cold, and rainy.We ended our hunt then.Id like to say this was my 2nd hunt with civilman,and he is a very cool guy.We are putting together some sites to hunt together.I t was great to hunt with a fellow MDer and I look forward to hunting/being friends with him for a long time.This was my first experience hunting with a goal of finding CW relics and in all metal mode.I dug 2- .22 cal shell casings,a .22 bullet,a peters paper 12 gauge shotgun shell,what appears to be a part of a file,and a Whatsit.Oh well ,no CW relics today but I had one of the best times hunting that I can remember.As I thought ,it was GREAT to hunt with someone for a change.Perhaps we will find something better another day.I guess civilman1 will post his finds.

Thanx for lookin,jimmy

Attachments

• farm 1.jpg
    farm 1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 389
  • farm 3.jpg
    farm 3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 380
  • farm 2.jpg
    farm 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JakePhelps said:
That whatsit kinda looks like a sword or knife, I would clean it up :)

The jury is out on this one jake.I added this pic with a quarter to show size.I certainly invite any other opinions on this one.As the pic is, the top apppears to be broken.Maybe some sort of dagger? It was dug at about 7-8 inches near a pretty wide creek.

Attachments

• farm 4.jpg
    farm 4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 329
OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasures4me2find said:
Congrats on your finds and your new parnership. Hope you two have great hunts together. looks like you have a great place to hunt.

Ken

Thanx ken,we will be posting pics of the site in the near future as we get out there more.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Sounds Like a Very Promising Site, Good Luck. Yes It Is Nice To Have a Detecting Buddy, Art & I Hit It Off Right Away and Have Had Some Great Times Hunting Together, With Many More To Come. trk5capt...

OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justgeese said:
Just a guess here but it looks like a blade guard off an old horse drawen mowing machine???? Have a side view pic to see how thick it is...
Don

Thanx for input and here it is geese.

Attachments

• farm 5.jpg
    farm 5.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 310
OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
privet12 said:
justgeese has it its a gaurd off the bar of a mowing machine thanks

This is another great thing about the T-net, a multitude of knowledge.Thanx for the ID guys. Im positive that we will find some CW relics here but I was just hoping that 1st time out ,I could be lucky enough to recover on the 1st time out.

OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justgeese said:
Just a guess here but it looks like a blade guard off an old horse drawen mowing machine???? Have a side view pic to see how thick it is...
Don

Ill go along with that geese.I just wanted to see what others thought.Wait for civilman1s post and EXACTLY fits what you say.(great job).In any event ,its OLD ,driven by horses.Thanx alot.

OP
OP
Getty

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zeb said:
Interesting relics there.

Maybe time for a little electrolysis?

Zeb

I thought of tryin floaters coffee can electrolylsis rig.Thanx zeb

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a couple pic's to go along with jimmy5503's post.this place look's great,alot of CW history around this Mt.Definetly a key point for the Union as far as a signal site,can see three state's and D.C.,It was fought over and exchanged hand's numerous time's.We're pretty much hunting the base of this Mt. where alot of this happened.500 acre's is a chunk for two guy's so it's gonna take some time to figure this place out.Anyway thank's for lookin' and HH!!...

Attachments

• 2006_0114Image0001.JPG
    2006_0114Image0001.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 2006_0114Image0003.JPG
    2006_0114Image0003.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 2006_0114Image0001.JPG
    2006_0114Image0001.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 2006_0114Image0003.JPG
    2006_0114Image0003.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 2006_0114Image0001.JPG
    2006_0114Image0001.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 2006_0114Image0003.JPG
    2006_0114Image0003.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 282

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OOOP'S....DOUBLE BARRELED THAT ONE!!...

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy, Glad you guys had fun. I don't think thats a dagger, but I could be wrong. Good luck with that area. Tsgman

Z

ZumbroKid

This site should produce alot of nice stuff Jimmy. Was this close to the battle of Sharpsburg also known as Antiem? If so, i believe lots of troups were in that area.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How awesome that you two can hunt together! I know that having such a large area to be able to hunt can be a bit overwhelming. Don't know where to start...how long to spend in a particular area.....what if that spot has more stuff to find than that one. I have just been jumping from one area to another trying to see which spot might have more/better finds than the other on my new place to hunt.
Good luck to the both of you and hope you have a great time and awesome finds!!!

Nice finds!

;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread