What's new

Old foreign coin that needs identifying... please help if possible

raven1971

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I have an old foreign coin that I stumbled across. I need some help
in identifying what kind it is, and how old it may be.
It is about the same diameter as a U.S. penny, but slightly thinner.
 

Attachments

  • oldcoin.webp
    oldcoin.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • oldcoinback.webp
    oldcoinback.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 940
Its copying some kind of circa 300BC Greek Coin like a silver Didrachm or similar, lots of eagles on their coins but can't get a match, maybe someone will chime in with which ruler it is copying.

welcome to tnet :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Found quite a few Greek and Roman coins that are close....but the left facing portrait seems to be the unique feature.
 
Upvote 0
yes modern copy..
 
Upvote 0
modern copy, but of what? im still trying to identify what the coin is from
 
Upvote 0
raven1971 said:
modern copy, but of what? im still trying to identify what the coin is from

It could be a made up image (happens all the time), based on a Greek coin but not copying any of them (precisely). I had a good look, but you could keep trying if you feel its worth it :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It appears similar to a poor 'knock off' of the Shekel from Tyre.
If "F" is the first letter in the obverse legend, that would be an ancient Phoenician letter, called a 'digamma'.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
raven1971 said:
modern copy, but of what? im still trying to identify what the coin is from

I would have to agree Cru. The Eagle on the reverse is typical of coins of the PTOLEMY period (aprox 300BC to 50 BC) The beard and oversized mustache do not seem like something from that period.

Les

It could be a made up image (happens all the time), based on a Greek coin but not copying any of them (precisely). I had a good look, but you could keep trying if you feel its worth it :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
diggerfororo said:
I would have to agree Cru. The Eagle on the reverse is typical of coins of the PTOLEMY period (aprox 300BC to 50 BC) The beard and oversized mustache do not seem like something from that period.

Les
Yes it resembles that eagle. I agree fantasy coin but I dont know who made it or why. http://www.willamette.edu/cla/classics/hfma/coins.php
 

Attachments

  • coin eagle.webp
    coin eagle.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 702
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom