Old Gold Ingot??

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no personal disrespect intended, I think you need to stop being so over dramatic. Your pushing things a bit further than you need to. I don’t need a moderator’s affirmation of this. I’ll go on record and say that if the OP didn’t want to present the photos of the stamped numbers & names, or the inside of the break when originally contacting the forum for input regarding the monetary value of their find, they likely won’t be following up with critical information now. Let’s hope they in fact do. You have made me feel guilty then continued to rub it in. I’ve received a taunting PM from another participant of the thread that would make a sailor blush. Anyone reading this thread will be ?? Thinking there must have been messages that got deleted which is not the case.
Maybe the OP didn,t know to present the info or what info to present. That was the purpose of the comments in the thread.You may be right,it may be another 24K kind of deal,but it can,t hurt to at least make the OP aware what info is needed to ID the bar,if indeed that was the purpose of the OP in the first place. Nothing lost but a little time and effort.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the OP didn,t know to present the info or what info to present. That was the purpose of the comments in the thread.You may be right,it may be another 24K kind of deal,but it can,t hurt to at least make the OP aware what info is needed to ID the bar,if indeed that was the purpose of the OP in the first place. Nothing lost but a little time and effort.
Well with the idea presented it was a GOLD IGNOT that had very old visible ASSAY stampings..a reasonable person would likely connect the dots that maybe the numbers and names might be significant..that’s if they are familiar with what an assay is which would mean they were vaguely familiar with gold. I’m skipping out on this thread so as to avoid further words that would offend or hurt feelings. It’s the facts as the OP sees them which is all that matters and I violated that rule.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So after sifting through the snide comments, I take it you would not personally take this to a pawn shop or scrap yard to have it tested for gold, but would be understanding and more than willing to test it if someone walked into your scrapyard. That’s completely understandable.
I
Nice pepper! What I was getting at but didn,t actually say! Thanks!
I certainly hope that the OP comes back around to have a look.
I'm pretty sure it will contain a high value mineral.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well with the idea presented it was a GOLD IGNOT that had very old visible ASSAY stampings..a reasonable person would likely connect the dots that maybe the numbers and names might be significant..that’s if they are familiar with what an assay is which would mean they were vaguely familiar with gold. I’m skipping out on this thread so as to avoid further words that would offend or hurt feelings. It’s the facts as the OP sees them which is all that matters and I violated that rule.
You assume that the assay marks are for gold?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no personal disrespect intended, I think you need to stop being so over dramatic. Your pushing things a bit further than you need to. I don’t need a moderator’s affirmation of this. I’ll go on record and say that if the OP didn’t want to present the photos of the stamped numbers & names, or the inside of the break when originally contacting the forum for input regarding the monetary value of their find, they likely won’t be following up with critical information now. Let’s hope they in fact do. You have made me feel guilty then continued to rub it in. I’ve received a taunting PM from another participant of the thread that would make a sailor blush. Anyone reading this thread will be ?? Thinking there must have been messages that got deleted which is not the case.
That violates our rules if you want to report it...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize to you and the other members, TH, but not to kray. I have tried the ignore button on him but he still persists. Again sorry for my language and thank you for you intervention.
When did you try the ignore, was it on the old software? If you hit ignore you should not see a member's posts on the new software, from what I have seen you should also not see a quote of a blocked member by someone.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread cleaned, please post by our rules, I really don't want to take posting privileges away from anyone....

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have recently and no would not see unless someone quoted and then would see his name. I would be made aware of what his posts were trolling when someone would tell me he had taken another shot at me. I would hardly ever go look unless someone said bad shot. I am really over it if you can not tell.
That is a disingenuous statement. Also, your "apology" stands, mine is deleted, so I guess we know what's what. I said I was dropping it, and I was going to give you a free pass from now on. Guess that's gone, and you hold the high ground. Good for you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a disingenuous statement. Also, your "apology" stands, mine is deleted, so I guess we know what's what. I said I was dropping it, and I was going to give you a free pass from now on. Guess that's gone, and you hold the high ground. Good for you.
That is because Traveller and I were discussing the ignore feature.

I tried to be nice, I am over it, now you are attacking moderation and implying I am playing favorites.

LAST WARNING, END IT OR I WILL!

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is shaped an awfully lot like an ingot. I believe I see an assayer stamp that is ofcourse so old it can barely be made out. I believe it says 1422 and alot of other numbers and names.
Hello Miss M,

It looks like lead or lead/silver the only thing that would turn gold black is a combination of added alloys. Look up Gold alloys such as silver added to gold will make it greenish blue, copper will make the gold appear reddish, aluminum added will make a light purplish tone.

I recall several stories of desert varnish like that of Doc Noss saying the gold bars in the cavern appeared to be made out of pig iron.

Another is that of PegLeg Smith finding a bunch of small black nuggets due to desert varnish. Only when each of these stories the items were scratched did it reveal a gold surface underneath.

You can also color metal with egg whites and it will turn it black If you heat it up. I made jewelry for 15 years back in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. Just like bithsmith subnitrate can give a lustrous bright light blue tint or magnesium oxide can give a blackish or dark purplish tint. Silver nitrate can give you a luster of gold when heated or dark black when it is not?

So there are many ways to color gold but unfortunately I believe your (gold) ingot is either silver or a lead silver combination.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

OP
OP
M

Miss M

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I obviously don't know what it is. I don't understand why someone would say I'm baiting people. How weird. But OK. Nevermind. I've had a very old ring turn black. So the alloy is what turns black and yes I took it to a pawn shop and they said there's definitely gold in it. It's strange how it's layered in between slate kind of material. Very odd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread