Old gold mine search area

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
North Carolina can boast the first documented gold discovery in the US. Charlotte has many old sites and the Capps Hill site was my location today.
I didn't find anything major. Just old iron and a 64 nickel. but it was cool to see the old shafts. And find a few golf balls.
157_5766.JPG

Upvote 0

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good first finds and keep looking. you while find gold.
SKD

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aa battery said:
SoreKneesDayton said:
Good first finds and keep looking. you while find gold.
SKD
yup :thumbsup:
AA,
You just went to the hospital.... Everything check out ok? TTC

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
JGO, you're just gonna have to do better than that! ;D

Find some of that gold!

LoL!

I like looking around old mining sites, myself...

Not a clue about your site, but we found a trashy bottle dump area off the side of kind of a flattened bench area that was a couple hundred yards from one of the mine sites I've been to... Scout around the surrounding area and see if you can find where perhaps someone set up camp, or a cabin away from the ruckus of the mine.

MD might be real handy and productive if you can find where others haven't thought of, yet.

Best
rmptr

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Did not know the old timers played golf...LOL. :tongue3: :tongue3:. Need to metal detect the old dump site for any gold left over.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 641
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 636

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting hunt for sure, I poke around some gold mines close by. Haven't found anything major yet. HH, Mike

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
jgowans,
I just moved to matthews about 4 mos ago and have been out prospecting. I met a guy who has researched a lot pof old gold mines in the area, prospecting gets in your blood just like detecting. There's still a lot of gold out there, now go out and find it!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check around the mouth of the mine shaft. (Don't go in) I am sure some of you know but not everyone dose. If your going to hunt Old Gold Mines, don't go inside. Old mines are very unstable and collapse on you very easy. The slightest bump or digging in the side of the mine, can cause it to collapse.

Keep @ it, and safe and HH!!

OP
OP
jgowans

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Thanks all. The detector was about useless. There is so much iron in the area. With it set to disc. all I found was shotgun shells.
I did hit several spots just for the heck of it with iron signals. the pinpointer said I had the object in my hand but it was nothing but dirt. Here is a photo from my phone camera of one of the shafts. It was about 20 ft deep.

Attachments

• CappsMineShaft.jpg
    CappsMineShaft.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 288

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread