mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a friend were detecting a house that we hit hard in the past. House dates to the 1800s and we were pulling out some stuff that we somehow missed before. Soil conditions were perfect. I was searching an area near the back porch where i got a midtone signal which was a spent casing. Another similar signal a few feet away and i spotted the unmistakeable glitter of gold. This antique 10k ring surfaced from 5-6 inches down complete with old victorian initials on the inside. Wish i could figure out what that design is. Thanks for reading. HH-MM2

Attachments

• WIN_20240210_14_00_20_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240210_14_00_20_Pro.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 129
  • WIN_20240210_14_06_25_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240210_14_06_25_Pro.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 106
  • WIN_20240210_14_10_07_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240210_14_10_07_Pro.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 109
  • WIN_20240210_14_18_30_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240210_14_18_30_Pro.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 45
OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to beat finding a gold ring! Congrats to you. Many years ago ( late 60's/ early 70's) my grandfather had a house in Sussex County on the Delaware River. That's beautiful country!
Thank you. Nice finds yourself on that silver dollar.
Hard to beat finding a gold ring! Congrats to you. Many years ago ( late 60's/ early 70's) my grandfather had a house in Sussex County on the Delaware River. That's beautiful country!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the birds on the sides and on the top.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks hand engraved, sort of rough, on the outside. Initials inside are of a better quality. I don't agree with the perched bird ID, although it does look something like that. I can't do any more to the ID though. Maybe it is a symbol someone will recognize. On the sides, I think it depicts something spilling over from the top, like ice cream. Looks old.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! It's surprising the outside is so worn down while the inside is in such good shape. Whoever wore it must have had rough work.
There was a lime kiln on the property.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would be a early class ring , I can make out a ON at the top , looks like a open book to me!
I was thinking that too. I also thought the square object on the front might be a open book. Usually class rings have a year on them though.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also think it's an old class ring. Is that the number "40" I see at the bottom in the first photo? And it looks like there are letters scribed across the top as well. They probably went all the way around the top of the ring.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful Ring - congrats ! :icon_thumright:

Looks hand engraved, sort of rough, on the outside. Initials inside are of a better quality. I don't agree with the perched bird ID, although it does look something like that. I can't do any more to the ID though. Maybe it is a symbol someone will recognize. On the sides, I think it depicts something spilling over from the top, like ice cream. Looks old.
My guess would be a early class ring , I can make out a ON at the top , looks like a open book to me!

I also think it's an old class ring. Is that the number "40" I see at the bottom in the first photo? And it looks like there are letters scribed across the top as well. They probably went all the way around the top of the ring.
I agree, I can see that too. Just so much wear.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it helps at all, the ring was found near Stroudsburg Pa

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be on to something. Did a little research on the 40 that mindcrime saw. The ring was found in Pa. Looked up the University of pennsylvania and it was founded in 1740. Also, there is an open book on their school crest. This is a tough one to id Thank you al for your comments. 🙂

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice save!

It is a beauty, and some one really wore that baby many years.... I have many old gold rings from the early 1900's, the one thing that I see that tells me its a later date, like 1920's up is the 10k stamp. To modern of stamp for anything earlier. I would like to say it is a class ring but I'm not sure, that design or shape of class rings really never started till the 40's. And it could be a college ring, most I've seen that are old don't have dates even a few of the early class rings are date less also.

As far as the... old initials, I have seen script work similar "up to" the 30's, ....rarely but a few into the early 50s.

What kind of ring is it.. To be honest, I'm not sure, wild guess college ring, 1940s up to early 50s?

I'll be back, I'll dig up some old class ring pictures and show how different they were in the early 1900s. Think the oldest class ring I have is 1906. I would love to say yours is 1800s but that 10k stamp kills that.

OBN-0002 (2).jpg

OBN-0003 (2).jpg

Congrads again!!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice save!

It is a beauty, and some one really wore that baby many years.... I have many old gold rings from the early 1900's, the one thing that I see that tells me its a later date, like 1920's up is the 10k stamp. To modern of stamp for anything earlier. I would like to say it is a class ring but I'm not sure, that design or shape of class rings really never started till the 40's. And it could be a college ring, most I've seen that are old don't have dates even a few of the early class rings are date less also.

As far as the... old initials, I have seen script work similar "up to" the 30's, ....rarely but a few into the early 50s.

What kind of ring is it.. To be honest, I'm not sure, wild guess college ring, 1940s up to early 50s?

I'll be back, I'll dig up some old class ring pictures and show how different they were in the early 1900s. Think the oldest class ring I have is 1906. I would love to say yours is 1800s but that 10k stamp kills that.

View attachment 2130769
View attachment 2130770

Congrads again!!
That's an impressive ring collection! Thank you for narrowing down the date range. This may get a id yet👍🙂

Reactions: OBN

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a well worn oldie for sure, congrats.
Looks like 10K rose gold.
The band doesn't look as worn, has me wondering if the ring was too big, and always was turned into the palm getting the wear.

Have you explored the possibility of a Military Collage/cadet origin?
If by chance if you could have access to a record of previous land owners with those initials.
Then the history of their education/career history might provide an ID.

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice save!

View attachment 2130769
View attachment 2130770

Congrads again!!
I just recently founda Jersey Township High School ring dated 1920!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread