What's new

Old Horse Show Awards?

SportFishingTourism

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Found these in a box buried in the ground under a barn. They are brass.. I know they have been there a while.. 30-40+ years or more.. No writing on them whatsoever... They look to me like old horse show or race medals... anyone know anything about em.. thanks
 

Attachments

  • medals.webp
    medals.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 228
I don't think they are awards, but decorative pieces. Apparently these are really popular in England as pub decoration. Here's a link to a similar one :

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,horse-brass-blinkered,1119298.html

The description says they have been around since the 17th century, but I'd guess yours are 20th century.

They're a cool find.

Whoops, mojjax got it while I was typing. Good id!
 
Upvote 0
They are called horse brasses, and are mounted on a leather strap and attached probably to a carriage or horse harness. From that point, I don't know where they decorated the horse. The English have been very fond of these, and many, many households have a strap of them hanging on the wall. 3-7 pieces per strap. We purchased some in the 80's while on a trip there. They were modern, but I am sure the originals are at least Victorian. Perhaps some of our English friends could expand on these and tell us where on the horse they were actually used. Many are made currently.

Oops--everyone else got in before me.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom