✅ SOLVED Old Horseshoe (could it be an early 20th century?)

kuna12

Greenie
Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this shoe a few days ago (27July2021) on the Crane Beach, Ipswich, MA. From one standpoint, the horses are present on the beach off season each year. From another standpoint, the beach is receding rapidly now, there were dunes last year at the place where I found this. In previous years I found quite a few examples of the old glass, dating from late 18 hundreds to early 19 hundreds. So I'm wondering, could this shoe belong to one of the horses of Cranes, who owned this estate at the beginning of 20th century? Is this at all possible, or it's a modern shoe?

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    960.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool old shoe! It appears to be hand forged with hand cut fullers, so I am thinking is earlier than the 20th century.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kuna12

Greenie
Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!
People leaved on the Crane Beach before the Cranes, of course, though it's totally made of sand (there is even old chimney sticking out from the dune - sand swallowed the house). Found a photo of the book page, which says that the toe clip like on this shoe was introduced by Herbert Hallen, who worked with the Inniskilling Dragoons, in the mid nineteen century, so maybe this shoe is from those times.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kuna12

Greenie
Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked again (will post more pics) - there are 3 visible holes on one inner side, one little visible farther from the clip, others are too rusty to see. On outer side there three nails corresponding the three holes, and one nail closer to the clip. The clip has two visible nails surrounding it on both sides, not sure if there is a nail-hole in the middle, behind the clip - if there is, it's not in line with the rest of them.
Thank you for looking!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kuna12

Greenie
Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a .pdf of the book by Untitled-.jpg Ivan Sparkes, Old Horseshoes, 1976 (https://www.heritagesouthholland.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Old-Horseshoes.pdf). On page 23 of the document (page 22 of the book) there is a horseshoe, very similar to this one 'late nineteenth century toe-clip saddle-horse shoe with calkins, hand fullered with 8 holes'. Except this shoe calkins are probably screw-in, not forged together with the shoe.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread