YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I recently acquired a fairly large piece of land on a mountain above Ojojona, Honduras. On this property is the remains of an old house, actually just the foundations and evidence of habitation. How old it is, nobody knows, but our relatives knew the last people who lived there. It was last abandoned around 1980s or so, but was inhabited by others for generations before.

I took the opportunity to give my metal detector a shot on the old foundations, where I could get to the ground between all the recently chopped brush covering everything. I didn't find anything spectacular, but I put in about an hour and only in those spots I could poke through the brush, and before we were hit with the daily afternoon thunderstorm. I hope to go back this week and rake off all the brush so I can give it an honest try next time.

I did manage to find a few things, even under the adverse conditions. A number of old rusted pieces of iron, banding, sheet as if from barrels, an old blue enamelware pot lid, a brass padlock, and an old brass military buckle bottom which said "Made in US".

The photos show a couple old buttons, one a mother of pearl, one gold plated (or gold colored) and nearly smashed, a 1989 five centavos piece found on the entrance trail, a well-encrusted one centavo piece from 1957, and a tiny metal round can that once held some kind of salve or medicine. The best find of this short hunt was a medallion with the likeness of Colonel Oswaldo Lopez Arellano. Arellano is an interesting figure in Honduran history. He led two successful military coups against the government and positioned himself as president, actually military dictator, twice. In the end he was ousted in another coup led by his erstwhile partners who brought him to power.

Circumstantial evidence can date the medallion to 1963-1964. Arellano was not popular enough politically and publicly to warrant a medallion until after the coup of 1963, yet it shows him as being a "Coronel", thus it was struck before he was made president and before he promoted himself to general. My guess would be 1963, for his ego would not allow him to be called a lesser title.
DSC_0024.jpg DSC_0026.jpg DSC_0029.jpg

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on the new property. Sounds promising.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very interesting....congrats on getting the land....loved the photos!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Great hunt! Sounds like you are enjoying this hobby.
Just out of curiosity, what is land selling for there? Frank five star.png
_Hay in sky.jpg

OP
OP
YumaMarc

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! Sounds like you are enjoying this hobby.
Just out of curiosity, what is land selling for there? Frank View attachment 1058217
View attachment 1058219

Land prices can vary tremendously, depending on location. Rich gringos from the US and especially Germany have come here and paid any price asked for good properties. Prime beach properties in Roatan and La Ceiba which could be had thirty years ago for $200 per acre can now go as high as $200,000 for a building lot. Land on the mainland interior can be found much less expensively, especially if you want unimproved land and develop your own water supply and bring in electricity.

Land here is sold by the square vara, which is 7.56 square feet. A vara of very good land can sell for a couple hundred dollars to as little as twenty cents, depending on how adventurous you are and how much work you want to put into it's development. Sometimes there are three price ranges for the same parcel: one for locals, one for foreigners who speak Spanish, and the "special gringo price" for strangers who speak no Spanish. It's always best to find a local to do the negotiating, and stay out of sight until the seller agrees on a price. Most people from the US like to live around other Americans, thus they pay a lot more for everything than they really have to. I am a little more adventurous than most, so I am the only gringo in the entire barrio in northern Tegucigalpa. I very rarely even see another American or European at a distance, much less talk to one. Most are unnecessarily terrified of the barrios and would never set foot in my neighborhood, though it's probably as safe as where they live, maybe even safer because there aren't enough gringos to attract the attention of those with criminal intent.

There is a lot of gorgeous jungle land near roads and electricity for dirt cheap if you look around, and good water is normally found very shallow when making a well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread