What's new

Old houses

RandyTheKid

Full Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2018
Messages
231
Reaction score
770
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When getting permission from an owner to hunt an old house site or house what settings/mode do you use on your detector?
 
I like to set mine to the ON position.
 
I like to set mine to the ON position.

so THATS what im doing wrong :laughing7:. I just hunt in all metal almost all the time, so dunno what to tell ya
 
It depends on what I want to find and how trashy the site is. If you wanna find gold you need to dig just about everything above iron.
 
I set my Explorer in Small Foil Range.

this way I don't miss tiny Gold rings.
but do knock out tiny iron.

however if The Place turns out to Be a trash Pit, I Increase in steps,
till I can swing my Coil Comfortably & pick out Targets.

if you have unlimited access, you can do the opposite and use full disc.
and cherry pick,
till you get no more signals.
then back down a few clicks and do that again.....
Rinse & Repeat.
 
Last edited:
Keep in mind just starting out it will take some time to learn what the machine is telling you, so don't get to discouraged. The relics mode on your machine will probably give you the widest range of finds and I would dig everything. Sensitivity will depend on the soil, if your getting a lot of chatter turn it down.
When I started I practiced on known objects, i would place silver coins, clad coins, pull tabs, nails, pull tabs next to silver ect so I could learn how my detector reacted to these. Once you get the basics down then you can play around and fine tune your settings. have fun!
 
I set my Explorer in Small Foil Range.

this way I don't miss tiny Gold rings.
but do knock out tiny iron.

however if The Place turns out to Be a trash Pit, I Increase in steps,
till I can swing my Coil Comfortably & pick out Targets.

if you have unlimited access, you can do the opposite and use full disc.
and cherry pick,
till you get no more signals.
then back down a few clicks and do that again

I have a place that i might have permission to hunt that was once an old house. It's now an lawnmower repair shop. Might use coin mode or something similar since it's a business and don't wanna be tearing up the grass that much.
 
I have a place that i might have permission to hunt that was once an old house. It's now an lawnmower repair shop. Might use coin mode or something similar since it's a business and don't wanna be tearing up the grass that much.

Yep I've Done that in Well Manicured Yards :coffee2:

my choice mode in those cases is make sure I can get nickles
and above
 
When I started to detect I disc'd out everything and then notched nickels and zincs back in. After 6 months I began to just disc out iron and foil, now after 4 years I only disc out the lower 3rd of the iron range. I swing the F75LTD and disc out 1-4. When possible I grid the yard in 3 directions (N to S), (E to W) and then at a 45 degree angle.
 
Loco-Digger is right on with his discrimination and grid patterns! :icon_thumleft:
 
I always cherry pick the high conductors first thing. If I can return, I hit the low signals.
 
I set my detector up to just knock out most nails, and I also usually use a small coil to work between the trash.
 
Lots of good advice.
If I get what I believe is a Virgin Site,, I will cherry pick the silver. Then go back with a low and slow approach.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom