What's new

Old indian hatchet! Found at estate sale

davinci

Full Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this Indian hatchet today at an estate sale. Anyone know if it's real or worth anything?



image-400633509.webp



image-4117337448.webp



image-4003492787.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You need to post this in North American artifacts forum, those guys can probably help.
 
Very nice ! Looks authentic but should be examined by experts . It's old but I bet it's post 1900 , indians used and made them years before that but the handle looks to be something you'd see on a newer one . If authentic I think it should be in a Museum . Sounds like I'm Indy Jones ... but a piece like this does belong in a place where it can be seen and admired . IMHO , Woodstock
 
outstanding.gif
Outstanding captainfizz.
 
Most likely a reproduction. At least the handle is. It may have been made years ago, but native Americans didn't really use a lot of flint or chert for axes in the later years. Before copper and iron, they used hardstone. Hardstone axes were very well made and had handles made of wood. The handle on that piece is manufactured. It would have to be thousands of years old to fit the chip axe time period, and would no longer have a handle. I say someone made it as a novelty then kept it for a long time.
 

Definitely a cool find from an estate sale! :thumbsup:
As others have already mentioned the handle looks to be relatively modern, likely from the 1900 - 20's?

But it's still interesting and somebody went to a lot of trouble to make it!
Dave
 
Most likely a reproduction. At least the handle is. It may have been made years ago, but native Americans didn't really use a lot of flint or chert for axes in the later years. Before copper and iron, they used hardstone. Hardstone axes were very well made and had handles made of wood. The handle on that piece is manufactured. It would have to be thousands of years old to fit the chip axe time period, and would no longer have a handle. I say someone made it as a novelty then kept it for a long time.

Any value? I paid $50
 
I go along with dig68. Having a lot of hands on with Indian artifacts, the handel an any binding mat. would be gone due to age , they mostly used animal or plant product, with hide glue for binding. For value the stone is a retail value of $50. It is a good find , I would keep it.:icon_thumleft:
 
I go along with dig68. Having a lot of hands on with Indian artifacts, the handel an any binding mat. would be gone due to age , they mostly used animal or plant product, with hide glue for binding. For value the stone is a retail value of $50. It is a good find , I would keep it.:icon_thumleft:

Thank you!
 
Post pictures of all sides, hard to tell, but it is possible it could be a hafted hoe and not an axe

Handle is repro on that there is no doubt.



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
Post pictures of all sides, hard to tell, but it is possible it could be a hafted hoe and not an axe

Handle is repro on that there is no doubt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have added more photos at the top please look and give me your opinion?
 
I have added more photos at the top please look and give me your opinion?

Still can't tell from pictures..... Stone appears to be authentic although crude. You paid more than I would have but the value of an artifact is always in the buyers eyes..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
It could be from South America or even Africa. Can you tell what the bindings are made of?
 
I bought a Mayan bowl in Tennessee.

I should take it back to that s.o.b. and get my $50 back. He was a tribal looking guy.
Told me it was from Jesse James days.
I keep gettin jipped off.
 
I should take it back to that s.o.b. and get my $50 back. He was a tribal looking guy.
Told me it was from Jesse James days.
I keep gettin jipped off.

I don't doubt the stone is authentic, surely you knew the handle was a reproduction. Just can't tell if stone is hoe or flint axe from picture, others may have better idea. It isn't worth losing sleep over, you paid for stone not handle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
I don't doubt the stone is authentic, surely you knew the handle was a reproduction. Just can't tell if stone is hoe or flint axe from picture, others may have better idea. It isn't worth losing sleep over, you paid for stone not handle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

True! I will keep it and put it up at my next yard sale. Maybe of I put it in a boxed plexi glass display case I can ask $100 for it.
 
I should take it back to that s.o.b. and get my $50 back. He was a tribal looking guy.
Told me it was from Jesse James days.
I keep gettin jipped off.

Hey Captainfizz, Man don't feel too bad I thin k your 50 bucks may be salvagable if you find the right person. Someone that likes it for its look. Just for a wall hanger in some bar etc.

Btw "tribal looking " reminds me of the line in Crocodile Dundee...Dundee to limo driver..."I knew you were tribal." LMAO

Good luck to ya.
 
I should take it back to that s.o.b. and get my $50 back. He was a tribal looking guy.
Told me it was from Jesse James days.
I keep gettin jipped off.

Jesse James was at his height in the 1870-1880's. strange historic period to relate this piece to. The stone seems to have a real creek patina on it. Along the thin spot where the stone is hafted worries me. If you notice, it looks a little red along that part of the stone. The stone doesn't seem to have any stain on it, does it? (Like furniture or deck stain) also, if the stone is the same color under the haft, that is a good sign. The stone looks pretty good, overall. I think these pieces are war clubs, or tomahawks. They are crude and light enough to swing fast. I have one or two really close to yours. If I can find them, I'll post pics for you. The handle could date back to the days of Jessy James, but it's patina gives me doubt. Steinbeck novels have painted my only visual of Oklahoma. Dry, dusty, and hot. If humidity is low, I suppose the haft could be real. I wish we all had friends that could hook us up with answers like those cats on Pawn-stars. Not a bad piece, all in all. When exchanging $$ the chance of getting ripped off is always there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom