🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Old iron found in Central Florida, on a hiking trail with cypress logging and turpentine history.

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought this might be a piece of mule shoe because we were told by construction workers building trail bridges there that they used mules and that there was a tram line/old railroad. After looking up mule shoes i'm not so sure though, if anything its more like ox shoes... but not quite.
It has some weight to it, doesnt look like modern manufactured..
They also attempted to establish a town here, with a post office in the last 1800s that ran for 3 years, and an old highway right nearby.
DSC03451.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03452.JPG
    DSC03452.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • DSC03454.JPG
    DSC03454.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • DSC03455.JPG
    DSC03455.JPG
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC03453.JPG
    DSC03453.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 53

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this might be a piece of mule shoe because we were told by construction workers building trail bridges there that they used mules and that there was a tram line/old railroad. After looking up mule shoes i'm not so sure though, if anything its more like ox shoes... but not quite.
They also attempted to establish a town here, with a post office in the last 1800s that ran for 3 years, and an old highway right nearby.
View attachment 2013897
I don,t know about the iron,but that,s a interesting story.Thanks for sharing it.

Upvote 1

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
View attachment 2013897
Too big to possibly be heel plates from boots?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too big to possibly be heel plates from boots?
I thought about that too, I wouldn't think its too big but it seems broken off on both ends and doesn't look similar to what I can find.
Both heel plates and mule/ox shoes have holes though, so perhaps its part of something else like machinery? :/

In that case it might be hard to identify. I didn't know the history of this part of the trail or I would've stayed there instead lol, only found this on the way out. I think I'll be back though!

Upvote 1

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I thought about that too, I wouldn't think its too big but it seems broken off on both ends and doesn't look similar to what I can find.
Both heel plates and mule/ox shoes have holes though, so perhaps its part of something else like machinery? :/

In that case it might be hard to identify. I didn't know the history of this part of the trail or I would've stayed there instead lol, only found this on the way out. I think I'll be back though!
Hi, yeah I was looking for the holes in the pictures and thought maybe they'd been rusted over or something like that hiding them.
Have another go there, might be something really good there waiting to be found. 👍

Upvote 1

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What about a part of a sword guard? Tang of the sword would fit in the oval area.

Upvote 1

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a brake shoe or some other mechanical friction application part.

Edit: Not up-to-snuff on my oxen shoes but mule shoes are not fashioned like that. They look like an upside-down U--more curved only where they bend and straight on both "legs" from that point and not as semicircular as horseshoes. Also, they're the same thickness with no deviation in form.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a segment of a round cook stove grate to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions